planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:09 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 2096
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ed Carpenter Racing just announced the arrival of former Indy Lights driver Zach Veach. The former Indy Lights driver will make his Indy Car debut this coming weekend at Barber Motorsports Park replacing JR Hildebrand who is recovering from a right hand injury on the last lap of the Long Beach event. Veach was also announced by AJ Foyt Racing to compete in their 3rd car next month.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/04/04- ... Hildebrand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 2096
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Even with a speedy recovery, Bourdais is officially out for the season. Australian driver and former Indy 500 starter James Davison will take his place in the #18. It is not conformed if Davison would replace him for the rest of the season.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... ry-908796/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 2096
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
From 2 weeks ago:

Mike Harding made an official announcement to enter the Indy Car Series in 2018. With Gabby Chaves on board, Harding Racing will also participate in 2 venues this year after the Indy 500. They will also compete in Texas and Pocono this 2017 as a start up for the newest team. Harding has also assembled a team with Larry Curry as their team manager and competition director and 2-time Indy 500 winner Al Unser Jr. as their Executive consultant and driver coach.

We will wish them the best.

http://www.hriracing.com/about-us


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 2096
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Image racer.com

Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing have confirmed their 2nd entry for Oriol Servia this weekend for the Dual In Detroit after announcing their partnership with Fifth/Third Bank as a sponsor.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/14102 ... at-Detroit

The breaking story this week:

Formula E and former Formula 1 driver Esteban Gutierrez will take over the helm of the Dale Coyne Racing #18 car of Sebastian Bourdais this weekend for the Dual In Detroit. Bourdais is still recuperating after that hard crash at Indianapolis during qualifying. Not so sure whether on not Gutierrez will have an expanded role. But it is likely that Gutierrez may only do road courses and have another driver like James Davison to do oval. This will be a wait and see.

Let us pass out best wishes to Sebastian Bourdais for a nice speedy recovery.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/06/06- ... z-to-Coyne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:11 am
Posts: 882
Watching the IndyCar Detroit GP practice live on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRzewVDCAcI

Rossi just lost the rear of his car and went into the wall. Nothing serious, just car damage.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 1406
i can't find a thread about lewis and his comments about indy drivers not having the skill level as f1 drivers and my thoughts went to Andretti when he was a team mate to senna in 93 and micheal could not get remotely close to senna

and lewis is right - indy drivers are very brave and have huge balls but not always huge talent and not many come to f1 for a reason

I do hope i'm not going to get a bashing for giving my opinion as sometimes this forum is becoming slightly sour sometimes when you say as you see

bash away , lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7772
slide wrote:
i can't find a thread about lewis and his comments about indy drivers not having the skill level as f1 drivers and my thoughts went to Andretti when he was a team mate to senna in 93 and micheal could not get remotely close to senna

and lewis is right - indy drivers are very brave and have huge balls but not always huge talent and not many come to f1 for a reason

I do hope i'm not going to get a bashing for giving my opinion as sometimes this forum is becoming slightly sour sometimes when you say as you see

bash away , lol


Its like comparing Marathon runners to weight lifters. Both are top athletes, but a completely different set of skills.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9678
Location: Ireland
slide wrote:
i can't find a thread about lewis and his comments about indy drivers not having the skill level as f1 drivers and my thoughts went to Andretti when he was a team mate to senna in 93 and micheal could not get remotely close to senna

and lewis is right - indy drivers are very brave and have huge balls but not always huge talent and not many come to f1 for a reason

I do hope i'm not going to get a bashing for giving my opinion as sometimes this forum is becoming slightly sour sometimes when you say as you see

bash away , lol

Lewis Hamilton had a dig at the depth of talent on the IndyCar grid because Fernando Alonso qualified 5th on his debut. Lewis Hamilton, the man who qualified 4th on his F1 debut

edit: 4th not 3rd

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Last edited by mcdo on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 8862
mcdo wrote:
slide wrote:
i can't find a thread about lewis and his comments about indy drivers not having the skill level as f1 drivers and my thoughts went to Andretti when he was a team mate to senna in 93 and micheal could not get remotely close to senna

and lewis is right - indy drivers are very brave and have huge balls but not always huge talent and not many come to f1 for a reason

I do hope i'm not going to get a bashing for giving my opinion as sometimes this forum is becoming slightly sour sometimes when you say as you see

bash away , lol

Lewis Hamilton had a dig at the depth of talent on the IndyCar grid because Fernando Alonso qualified 5th on his debut. Lewis Hamilton, the man who qualified 3rd on his F1 debut

8O :lol:

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 5837
Location: Nebraska, USA
mcdo wrote:
slide wrote:
i can't find a thread about lewis and his comments about indy drivers not having the skill level as f1 drivers and my thoughts went to Andretti when he was a team mate to senna in 93 and micheal could not get remotely close to senna

and lewis is right - indy drivers are very brave and have huge balls but not always huge talent and not many come to f1 for a reason

I do hope i'm not going to get a bashing for giving my opinion as sometimes this forum is becoming slightly sour sometimes when you say as you see

bash away , lol

Lewis Hamilton had a dig at the depth of talent on the IndyCar grid because Fernando Alonso qualified 5th on his debut. Lewis Hamilton, the man who qualified 4th on his F1 debut

edit: 4th not 3rd


Good point....

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 1812
Blake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
slide wrote:
i can't find a thread about lewis and his comments about indy drivers not having the skill level as f1 drivers and my thoughts went to Andretti when he was a team mate to senna in 93 and micheal could not get remotely close to senna

and lewis is right - indy drivers are very brave and have huge balls but not always huge talent and not many come to f1 for a reason

I do hope i'm not going to get a bashing for giving my opinion as sometimes this forum is becoming slightly sour sometimes when you say as you see

bash away , lol

Lewis Hamilton had a dig at the depth of talent on the IndyCar grid because Fernando Alonso qualified 5th on his debut. Lewis Hamilton, the man who qualified 4th on his F1 debut

edit: 4th not 3rd


Good point....



They're hardly comparable.

Lewis had done tonnes of racing in directly related feeder series and a huge amount of testing, then in his first race qualified 4th out of 22 in one of the best cars in the formula that year.

Alonso had testing time in the run up sure, but that was his first experience of oval racing - and qualified 5th out of 32 in a mostly spec series.


I'm not saying I agree with Hamilton's comments, but you really cant make that comparison.

_________________
Group Pick 'Em 2016 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am
Posts: 1548
if anything that further proves Hamiltons point

All of Alonso's competitors have masses\a lot more experience than Alonso in Indy and yet were out paced\raced by Alonso who had very little time to get to grips with it.

I think some F1 drivers are that good in comparison to Indy drivers. Theres a reason the transition is pretty much 1 way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm
Posts: 1096
stevey wrote:
if anything that further proves Hamiltons point

All of Alonso's competitors have masses\a lot more experience than Alonso in Indy and yet were out paced\raced by Alonso who had very little time to get to grips with it.

I think some F1 drivers are that good in comparison to Indy drivers. Theres a reason the transition is pretty much 1 way.


WOW.

Alonso was part of the team that won last year's Indy, one of the powerhouse teams. He had top people, top equipment, and some very wise and experienced people giving Alonso golden advice. The great majority of teams and drivers involved in Indy do not enjoy such luxuries, many are very small, under-funded teams that scraped together enough money to go to Indy. They could not afford the testing program Alonso enjoyed, nor did they enjoy the reams of accumulated data a five car team builds up in testing.

Agreed, Alonso is one of, if not THE best driver. And he conducted his Indy adventure with true professionalism and competence. And up to the point where his Honda engine expired, he was doing well. But ask anyone who has watched the Indy 500, the real game does not start until the last 50 laps. That is when any potential winners start making moves, increase the aggression,and place themselves in position to win. Many of those drivers sit back and just pace themselves for the first 450 miles, because they know that everything up until then is just a prelude.

So we will never know how well Alonso stacked up against the truly competitive Indy 500 drivers, because he was sitting in the pits when it became time to put on the dancing shoes.

_________________
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:43 pm
Posts: 72
Even though it's more or less a "spec series," just like in most other forms of racing, some teams do a better job than others. Alonso drove for the Andretti team, which was clearly the dominant team at Indy this year. Four of the "Fastest Nine" pole shoot-out cars were from the Andretti team, and no other team had more than two in that group. One of their driver's won the race. As a double WDC who consistently distinguishes himself among his F1 peers, it doesn't surprise me at all that he was there or there about before his Honda engine let go. To me, Alonso did a great job of coming into the series, learning quickly, keeping out of trouble, and putting the car where it belonged. No surprise there at all. It wasn't like what he has been doing in F1 this year - putting a less competitive car where it doesn't belong and distinguishing himself from his teammate.

I guess my point is that Alonso's qualifying result should not be a surprise to anyone, and it says very little if anything about the quality of the other "top" drivers in the series. Frankly, had Alonso qualified 20th fastest, but ran 10 mph faster than any of his teammates, I would have been more impressed. The measure of a great driver is not what they can do with great equipment, it's what they can do when the equipment is not the best. Alonso is one of a very select few that has been able to distinguish himself in less than stellar cars. Hamilton, to be fair, has done the same in 2009.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm
Posts: 1096
In racing, and even more critical in spec series is preparation. Teams may purchase the same chassis and engine, but which team put the time and effort into construction and preparation usually dominate. That is what separates Penske from the rest. If one ever has the opportunity to examine a Penske car in detail (and I had the opportunity), everything about the car is superior. Welds are immaculate, assembly is superb, and all equipment is laid out with great thought and care.

All of the top teams are very aware that preparation is critical. So that is why they hire the best welders, the best mechanics, and best engineers and devote a lot of money and resources into preparation. So of the 33 starters at Indy, IMO there were only a dozen cars that were fully prepared and Alonso had one of those cars.

_________________
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 1168
Location: Los Angeles, California
slide wrote:
i can't find a thread about lewis and his comments about indy drivers not having the skill level as f1 drivers and my thoughts went to Andretti when he was a team mate to senna in 93 and micheal could not get remotely close to senna

and lewis is right - indy drivers are very brave and have huge balls but not always huge talent and not many come to f1 for a reason

I do hope i'm not going to get a bashing for giving my opinion as sometimes this forum is becoming slightly sour sometimes when you say as you see

bash away , lol


I won't bash, unless you consider countering your argument with facts as "bashing", which would mean I am absolutely going to bash you. :twisted:

Andretti went from a car with no TC, no ABS, no shift paddles, that required the driver to do it all, to a car that practically had a mind of its own and drove itself, in a season in which the amount of practice before qualifying was reduced, and his teammate was arguably the greatest driver in the world at the time, a driver who was signing contracts on a race-by-race basis because McLaren were desperate to keep him. Even if Andretti had moved to England instead of being based in the US, it was literally the worst situation he could have walked into. He was never going to be able to show what he could do.

F1 is better at attracting drivers with talent, but Indycar is better at letting that talent shine. It's no wonder that one of the best drivers in the world did so well. It says a lot about Alonso, not about the drivers in Indycar.

I'll just end this post with Tony Kanaan's response to Lewis' ill-thought comments:

"The guy (Hamilton) competed in a two-car world championship last year and was second, so I don't think he can say much."

_________________
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 5837
Location: Nebraska, USA
Gotta love Kaanan having the guts to respond in kind. Bet Lewis felt that one.

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9678
Location: Ireland
Herb wrote:
Blake wrote:
mcdo wrote:
slide wrote:
i can't find a thread about lewis and his comments about indy drivers not having the skill level as f1 drivers and my thoughts went to Andretti when he was a team mate to senna in 93 and micheal could not get remotely close to senna

and lewis is right - indy drivers are very brave and have huge balls but not always huge talent and not many come to f1 for a reason

I do hope i'm not going to get a bashing for giving my opinion as sometimes this forum is becoming slightly sour sometimes when you say as you see

bash away , lol

Lewis Hamilton had a dig at the depth of talent on the IndyCar grid because Fernando Alonso qualified 5th on his debut. Lewis Hamilton, the man who qualified 4th on his F1 debut

edit: 4th not 3rd


Good point....



They're hardly comparable.

Lewis had done tonnes of racing in directly related feeder series and a huge amount of testing, then in his first race qualified 4th out of 22 in one of the best cars in the formula that year.

Alonso had testing time in the run up sure, but that was his first experience of oval racing - and qualified 5th out of 32 in a mostly spec series.


I'm not saying I agree with Hamilton's comments, but you really cant make that comparison.

He needs to come up with something better than the qualy results. What did it say about the depth of talent in F1 going into 2007 that McLaren would rather hire a rookie over anyone else? And if Alonso exposed IndyCar by running so well at the 500 then Lewis himself made an absolute mockery of the talent in F1 during his debut season

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 1550
Location: Miami, Florida
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
slide wrote:
i can't find a thread about lewis and his comments about indy drivers not having the skill level as f1 drivers and my thoughts went to Andretti when he was a team mate to senna in 93 and micheal could not get remotely close to senna

and lewis is right - indy drivers are very brave and have huge balls but not always huge talent and not many come to f1 for a reason

I do hope i'm not going to get a bashing for giving my opinion as sometimes this forum is becoming slightly sour sometimes when you say as you see

bash away , lol


I won't bash, unless you consider countering your argument with facts as "bashing", which would mean I am absolutely going to bash you. :twisted:

Andretti went from a car with no TC, no ABS, no shift paddles, that required the driver to do it all, to a car that practically had a mind of its own and drove itself, in a season in which the amount of practice before qualifying was reduced, and his teammate was arguably the greatest driver in the world at the time, a driver who was signing contracts on a race-by-race basis because McLaren were desperate to keep him. Even if Andretti had moved to England instead of being based in the US, it was literally the worst situation he could have walked into. He was never going to be able to show what he could do.

F1 is better at attracting drivers with talent, but Indycar is better at letting that talent shine. It's no wonder that one of the best drivers in the world did so well. It says a lot about Alonso, not about the drivers in Indycar.

I'll just end this post with Tony Kanaan's response to Lewis' ill-thought comments:

"The guy (Hamilton) competed in a two-car world championship last year and was second, so I don't think he can say much."

About the BIB…

First of all, the first part is simply not 100% true. Had that been the case we'd have been treated to several drivers whom NEVER saw the light of day in an F1 car seriously.
(Loeb and Rossi (The real Rossi - LOL) come to mind initially but I know there are dozens more.)

If that were factually accurate then the pay drivers would never get a crack in the bigtime, but we see and suffer through them year after dismal year when a truly talented driver could be showcasing what they can do instead of them.


As for the latter part of that BIB… I know which drivers are the cream of the crop on home soil but BECAUSE the racing is done with a sub par spec chassis and just 2 engines, both engineered much like NASCAR to provide equal everything across the board, it boils down to two things… Team and driver input for the setup. And while the latter is extremely significant, the larger better staffed teams have a better win ratio than any of the rest JUST LIKE in F1 so that part is very much the same. The reason Indy features a greater number of different winners and even podium finishers is because the spec formula forces close action. Since the cars aren't outright quicker than anyone else's car, if and when drivers turn laps just right, their lap times are quite close. And given they turn several hundred laps, like Orange Juice, when you squeeze a metric ton of oranges, the juice produced will end up being near identical every time, cancelling out the few off-tasting bitter ones and leaving you with that ever so fresh tasting juice formula virtually every single time. With Indy, those high number of laps equates to many guys getting just about the same amount of laps perfect and the same amount of laps being just off, and the guys who fall way off the pace either made more significant mistakes or their car is plagued with issues that hinder performance.

With F1, the cars are all built from scratch, individually so each car has completely unique characteristics to that of ever other car, and in some cases, each car from the same manufacturer can have varied performance. If you're not cookie cutting cars, doing things by hand allows for greater variances, thus allowing for seemingly identical sister cars to behave differently enough that one will be noticeably slower than the other. That is why it is far more difficult to do well in F1 vs Indy as an individual, but just because Indy is a spec series doesn't mean certain teams don't have enough experience to produce better performance from the same car everyone else is running. As well, Indy's Dallara has a base configuration, but every team has the freedom to run different wing setups and wings and winglets altogether to alter performance and that adds to the difference between the cars and how drivers can push, but those options are not particularly vast either.

In the end, I have to agree with Hamilton because the majority of drivers in Indy Car are not faced with driving inferior equipment the wat say a Sergio Perez, or a Fernando Alonso, or a Jules Bianchi, or a Sebastian Vettel (in 2008), or a Michael Schumacher a few times had to compete in against top performing cars and yield results and even wins. If you compete in Indy, you have pretty much an equal shot at podiums and wins where as in F1, that will never be so. And Hamilton has won in cars that his teammates couldn't even reach the podium on, and the same goes for Alonso, Vettel, Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Mansell, Clark, Fangio, Moss, Andretti, and a plethora of other drivers in the history of F1. And while this was also true of the Indy of old, CART/ChampCar, can the same be said of drivers in the modern Indy era? I'm not so sure.

_________________
HAMILTON :: VETTEL :: ROSBERG :: RAIKKONEN :: VERSTAPPEN :: SAINZ :: MASSA :: BOTTAS :: NASR
ALONSO :: BUTTON :: PEREZ :: RICCIARDO :: GROSJEAN :: KVYAT :: HULKENBERG :: MALDONADO
THE REST… THERE ARE FAR BETTER DRIVERS THAT SHOULD BE IN FORMULA 1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm
Posts: 1096

_________________
Only dogs, mothers, and quality undergarments give unconditional support.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 1550
Location: Miami, Florida
Much improved aesthetically according to the renderings, but let's see how much they stick to it (for some reason final products seem to always be off somehow) and then lets see how it performs on road courses.
The current car reminds me of camel racing… They may be moving fast, but man do they look awkward and clumsy.

_________________
HAMILTON :: VETTEL :: ROSBERG :: RAIKKONEN :: VERSTAPPEN :: SAINZ :: MASSA :: BOTTAS :: NASR
ALONSO :: BUTTON :: PEREZ :: RICCIARDO :: GROSJEAN :: KVYAT :: HULKENBERG :: MALDONADO
THE REST… THERE ARE FAR BETTER DRIVERS THAT SHOULD BE IN FORMULA 1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 2096
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
With Esteban Gutierrez already on the sidelines due to lack of skills in the ovals, Dale Coyne Racing will go with Tristian Vautier for this round in the #18 car.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/06/06- ... R-at-Texas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9678
Location: Ireland
Placid wrote:
With Esteban Gutierrez already on the sidelines due to lack of skills in the ovals, Dale Coyne Racing will go with Tristian Vautier for this round in the #18 car.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/06/06- ... R-at-Texas

Does that mean Gutierrez is out for good? Because his FE team moved fast to replace him!

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 2096
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
mcdo wrote:
Placid wrote:
With Esteban Gutierrez already on the sidelines due to lack of skills in the ovals, Dale Coyne Racing will go with Tristian Vautier for this round in the #18 car.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/06/06- ... R-at-Texas

Does that mean Gutierrez is out for good? Because his FE team moved fast to replace him!


Only on the ovals. He would likely to enter in the road races.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 1168
Location: Los Angeles, California
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
slide wrote:
i can't find a thread about lewis and his comments about indy drivers not having the skill level as f1 drivers and my thoughts went to Andretti when he was a team mate to senna in 93 and micheal could not get remotely close to senna

and lewis is right - indy drivers are very brave and have huge balls but not always huge talent and not many come to f1 for a reason

I do hope i'm not going to get a bashing for giving my opinion as sometimes this forum is becoming slightly sour sometimes when you say as you see

bash away , lol


I won't bash, unless you consider countering your argument with facts as "bashing", which would mean I am absolutely going to bash you. :twisted:

Andretti went from a car with no TC, no ABS, no shift paddles, that required the driver to do it all, to a car that practically had a mind of its own and drove itself, in a season in which the amount of practice before qualifying was reduced, and his teammate was arguably the greatest driver in the world at the time, a driver who was signing contracts on a race-by-race basis because McLaren were desperate to keep him. Even if Andretti had moved to England instead of being based in the US, it was literally the worst situation he could have walked into. He was never going to be able to show what he could do.

F1 is better at attracting drivers with talent, but Indycar is better at letting that talent shine. It's no wonder that one of the best drivers in the world did so well. It says a lot about Alonso, not about the drivers in Indycar.

I'll just end this post with Tony Kanaan's response to Lewis' ill-thought comments:

"The guy (Hamilton) competed in a two-car world championship last year and was second, so I don't think he can say much."

About the BIB…

First of all, the first part is simply not 100% true. Had that been the case we'd have been treated to several drivers whom NEVER saw the light of day in an F1 car seriously.
(Loeb and Rossi (The real Rossi - LOL) come to mind initially but I know there are dozens more.)

If that were factually accurate then the pay drivers would never get a crack in the bigtime, but we see and suffer through them year after dismal year when a truly talented driver could be showcasing what they can do instead of them.


As for the latter part of that BIB… I know which drivers are the cream of the crop on home soil but BECAUSE the racing is done with a sub par spec chassis and just 2 engines, both engineered much like NASCAR to provide equal everything across the board, it boils down to two things… Team and driver input for the setup. And while the latter is extremely significant, the larger better staffed teams have a better win ratio than any of the rest JUST LIKE in F1 so that part is very much the same. The reason Indy features a greater number of different winners and even podium finishers is because the spec formula forces close action. Since the cars aren't outright quicker than anyone else's car, if and when drivers turn laps just right, their lap times are quite close. And given they turn several hundred laps, like Orange Juice, when you squeeze a metric ton of oranges, the juice produced will end up being near identical every time, cancelling out the few off-tasting bitter ones and leaving you with that ever so fresh tasting juice formula virtually every single time. With Indy, those high number of laps equates to many guys getting just about the same amount of laps perfect and the same amount of laps being just off, and the guys who fall way off the pace either made more significant mistakes or their car is plagued with issues that hinder performance.

With F1, the cars are all built from scratch, individually so each car has completely unique characteristics to that of ever other car, and in some cases, each car from the same manufacturer can have varied performance. If you're not cookie cutting cars, doing things by hand allows for greater variances, thus allowing for seemingly identical sister cars to behave differently enough that one will be noticeably slower than the other. That is why it is far more difficult to do well in F1 vs Indy as an individual, but just because Indy is a spec series doesn't mean certain teams don't have enough experience to produce better performance from the same car everyone else is running. As well, Indy's Dallara has a base configuration, but every team has the freedom to run different wing setups and wings and winglets altogether to alter performance and that adds to the difference between the cars and how drivers can push, but those options are not particularly vast either.

In the end, I have to agree with Hamilton because the majority of drivers in Indy Car are not faced with driving inferior equipment the wat say a Sergio Perez, or a Fernando Alonso, or a Jules Bianchi, or a Sebastian Vettel (in 2008), or a Michael Schumacher a few times had to compete in against top performing cars and yield results and even wins. If you compete in Indy, you have pretty much an equal shot at podiums and wins where as in F1, that will never be so. And Hamilton has won in cars that his teammates couldn't even reach the podium on, and the same goes for Alonso, Vettel, Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Mansell, Clark, Fangio, Moss, Andretti, and a plethora of other drivers in the history of F1. And while this was also true of the Indy of old, CART/ChampCar, can the same be said of drivers in the modern Indy era? I'm not so sure.



Sorry for the late reply, but I'm not on here very often.

As for your first point, it's not really relevant. F1 actually is better at attracting drivers with talent. You are confusing this with "F1 attracts every top driver in every series in the world, whether or not they have a history with, or attraction to, open wheel racing". There is a ladder system that is full of drivers from all over the world eager to get to F1. Several drivers that fall short of F1 end up going on to win elsewhere, so there is plenty of talent there, and if not for the current financial climate in F1, more teams would be in a position to hire drivers based on talent alone, no doubt having a plethora of interested drivers to choose from.

As for the second point, you missed something. You say:
Quote:
the larger better staffed teams have a better win ratio than any of the rest JUST LIKE in F1 so that part is very much the same


but you are missing a big point.

The best performing Indycar teams have the top drivers in the series driving for them. That's why the top teams are where they are. The drivers can have a huge say in how far up a team run.

If it was not case, Tony Kanaan would not have finished 5th in the championship a few years back when he left Andretti Autosport for KV Racing, a team whose highest-placed driver the season before Kanaan arrived only finished 17th.

Simon Pagenaud was a championship contender with Schmidt-Peterson Motorsports before moving up to Team Penske. SPM only had one podium way back in 2001 before Pagenaud came along in 2012 and snagged them 10 podiums, including 4 wins, and three top-5 finishes in the championship (including a 3rd place in 2013) before leaving at the end of 2014. The driver that took his place at SPM, James Hinchcliffe, was not a championship contender before he arrived, and at SPM, he still isn't.

Andretti Autosport have the resources to match Ganassi and Penske but they don't have the drivers that can challenge the top guys at Ganassi and Penske, and don't give me "Sato is 3rd in the championship" because the Indy 500 is a double points race and the two drivers ahead of him have not even won a race yet (just shows you how weird this season has been! :lol: )

In F1, there are ways for a team to be competitive without having the top drivers at their disposal. Remember 2007 when McLaren had Alonso and Hamilton yet Ferrari won Drivers' and Constructors' titles with Raikkonen and Massa, two drivers that have been proven to be 2nd-tier compared to Alonso?

Talent can shine in both series, of course. We are seeing that with Alonso right now, but he himself cannot elevate a team. For a good/decent Indycar team, all it can take is getting their hands on a very good driver(s) for their fortunes to change.

_________________
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 1406
nice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 2096
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports have announced that Sebastian Saavedra will drive the #7 car this weekend in Toronto replacing Mikhail Aleshin.

It is a sad moment as we speak.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/07/07- ... in-Toronto


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 2096
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Placid wrote:
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports have announced that Sebastian Saavedra will drive the #7 car this weekend in Toronto replacing Mikhail Aleshin.

It is a sad moment as we speak.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/07/07- ... in-Toronto


Saavedra becomes 1 candidate to become SPM's new driver for the #7 car as Mikhail Aleshin officially parted ways with the team.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/08/08- ... t-Peterson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Indy Car news
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 2096
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is announced that former Indy Lights driver and 2017 Indy 500 starter Jack Harvey will take over the Schmidt-Peterson Motorsports' #7 car for the final 2 road course events. The 2-time Indy Lights runner-up will reunite with his former employer replacing Sebastian Saavedra right after the Bommarito 500 event at Gateway Motorsports Park in Madison, Illinois.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], JamWalsh, pokerman and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group