planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 154
tootsie323 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
I'm just gutted Stoner hasn't been around the last few years to add to the mix.
Unfortunately he just didn't have the fortitude to carry on, he still loves riding the bikes but not so much the wheel to wheel combat perhaps?
I was under the impression it was the whole media / publicity circus he was not happy with. He seemed quite happy with wheel-to-wheel racing (notwithstanding a couple of high-profile incidents with Rossi).


This is right. The racing was not the reason he left.

For Australians, moving to Europe as a child to forge a racing career is a big thing. Europe is a long way from home.

For Stoner he had been toiling away at his career for nearly 20 years in foreign countries.

He also hated the media and politics of MotoGP and Marco Simoncelli's death apparently helped put things in perspective for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
Marquez on pole again. Unreal ability to nearly crash three times a lap, and not. Yamaha looks ready to fight tomorrow, though!!

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 2044
F1 - 13:00
Moto GP 15:30
Chelsea 13:30
Liverpool vs Arsenal 16:00

Get the beers in and what a day of sport.

_________________
Podiums: 1st Spain 2016, 2nd Germany 2016 and 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3875
At this point in the season we must acknowledge that Dovi and that Ducati seem to be the fastest rider/bike combination in MotoGP. He has looked the fastest on Sundays fairly consistently over the past couple of months. I really think the championship is his to lose. Would be amazing to see him win a MotoGP championship! An Italian riding for Ducati; and when Rossi failed to bring home that championship before him.

The title is wide open though and I get the sense that when Lorenzo finally figures out that bike, we'll all see just how dominant it truly is. I think Marquez might still be my pick for the championship. He was terribly unlucky today with the engine failure but I still think he's just got an edge over the competition. His riding is just on a different level. Rossi and Vinales are both still alive but I think the Yamaha has had far too many issues for me to feel confident in either of their chances.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9372
Location: Ireland
I was at the race yesterday. And while the crowd wanted Rossi to win it, everyone was still very happy with the race result. I really hope Dovi can go all the way. How unexpected!

Props to Silverstone for top class organisation and facilities. The only event I've been to that comes close is Le Mans

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
What a fantastic race again, especially with the way everyone seems to be getting really tactical with the tires. Saving them while running as fast as they can, and hope to put in some blinders at the end. I really thought Rossi was going to win this, and it was staggering that Dovi had something left at the end to not only challenge, but stay in the lead. Although special mention must be given to Vinales, who was a demon in the last sector of the track and made it extremely interesting on the last lap. Especially with the soft tire!!! I didn't think he had anything left, and then all of a sudden there he was.

A lot of people have been slagging off Lorenzo, but it is obvious he is getting his head around riding differently to the strengths of the Ducati, which are obviously not too amenable to his basic riding style. He is getting better, and hopefully he will be able to start battling up front with the top guys soon. He is a lot closer than he gets credit for, I think. He was running similar lap time to the leaders halfway through, but since he lost the tow to them, catching them was going to be impossible. Still a good ride overall. I thought Zarco was going to catch him and overtake, but he held him off. Improvement from recent tests have given him a tangible boost.

Gutted for Marquez; that just doesn't happen to Honda very often, or MotoGP, in general. Especially worse since that engine, I read, was nearly new and had only one race weekend on it.

I wouldn't write off the Yamahas just yet. One DNF from Dovi or a bad day from Marquez coupled with wins and podiums from either Marquez and Rossi, and those boys will be right in the thick of it. On pure pace alone they don't look like they are top, but they are close. A rain race could throw everything out the window in the blink of an eye.
It's been a great, great season thus far with many different players and surprises throughout. We should all be reveling in this competition.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 53
I was at the race on Sunday and thought it was the worst race ive seen at Silverstone with riders just managing tyres. Watched it on BTSport replay to see what I was missing and came to the same conclusion.

The Moto3 race was superb as usual

Im glad Marquez got a DNF as I have tickets for Valencia. I think he is still strong favourite for the title. The main problem I see for Dovi is when he has an off weekend (Expect him to struggle at Philip Island, Valencia, Misano) theres a host of riders that will take points off him. Im not a Rossi fan but I'd love him to take the title.

mcdo wrote:
Props to Silverstone for top class organisation and facilities. The only event I've been to that comes close is Le Mans


Not sure how it was comparable to Le Mans. There seemed to be a lot of people in gen admin but the Grandstands were miles from being sold out. (I know some arent open but there were lots of empty seats in the ones being used which Ive not seen before) 56,000 there on Sunday in fine weather, i'm pretty sure thats the lowest Ive seen at a MotoGP event. Mugello, Jerez, Catalunya, Brno, Valencia, Sepang all ram packed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9372
Location: Ireland
Zazu wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Props to Silverstone for top class organisation and facilities. The only event I've been to that comes close is Le Mans


Not sure how it was comparable to Le Mans. There seemed to be a lot of people in gen admin but the Grandstands were miles from being sold out. (I know some arent open but there were lots of empty seats in the ones being used which Ive not seen before) 56,000 there on Sunday in fine weather, i'm pretty sure thats the lowest Ive seen at a MotoGP event. Mugello, Jerez, Catalunya, Brno, Valencia, Sepang all ram packed

Travel to/from the circuit, the sheer number of food/drink stands & merch stands repeating and repeating, clean toilets. Le Mans is the only event I've been to that comes close to having all the boxes ticked. Silverstone is far superior to Le Mans for food/drink options (especially alcohol options)

Our group had been to Spa, Hungaroring, Le Mans, Catalunya, Mugello, etc. in the past. We had plenty of horror stories. I tell ya one thing I was bloody terrified when nature called at the Hungaroring...

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
Zazu wrote:
I was at the race on Sunday and thought it was the worst race ive seen at Silverstone with riders just managing tyres. Watched it on BTSport replay to see what I was missing and came to the same conclusion.



Huh? Are you under the impression that they can/would race as fast as they possibly can....on every single lap? That's impossible.
Not to mention the fact that they were hardly cruising. Most forms of motorsport requires equipment management, tire management, etc. You know this.
Michelin tires have brought a great deal of tactics into the races this year, whether or not by design is irrelevant. The tires drop at some point, and the riders have to manage that in addition to fuel management, power management through maps, etc.

Takes tactics AND speed, mate.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 53
It reminded me of Catalunya. They were cruising and that was highlighted when Dovi went passed Vinales then Marquez instantly responded and just breezed passed him as well. In the rider post race interviews all they talked about is managing the tyre. These are the best riders in the world, their ability to press a button to change an engine map (which use to be fully automated) doesnt get my juices flowing at all. In reminded me of races where the last 5 laps were where the race starts but this time it never actually got going.

There wasnt a single memorable overtake, it wasnt like some of the borefests from 10 years ago but it was a world away from a classic.

@mcdo
Only time I really notice Silverstones good facilities is when I visit Donington!! Other than Mugello where the toilets are vile by Sunday morning I think most of the MotoGP calendar is OK


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3875
Went to a race in Austin at the COTA and was very impressed with the food/facilities. Definitely a good experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
Zazu wrote:
It reminded me of Catalunya. They were cruising and that was highlighted when Dovi went passed Vinales then Marquez instantly responded and just breezed passed him as well. In the rider post race interviews all they talked about is managing the tyre. These are the best riders in the world, their ability to press a button to change an engine map (which use to be fully automated) doesnt get my juices flowing at all. In reminded me of races where the last 5 laps were where the race starts but this time it never actually got going.


I'm struggling to understand your criticism here (if that is what it is), which is fine, and I certainly respect your opinion. Marquez passed Vinales because he realized that Dovizioso was the man on the charge, and probably the guy to beat (I believe he said as much), and in so doing, didn't let him storm off without being able to follow. Which, prior to his engine blowing, would be the right thing to do. You know at some point the pace is going to quicken and riders are going to start showing their cards. Regarding the tires---they have to manage them. If they ride as fast as they can on every lap, they won't have anything left at the end anyway. I still don't agree that they were going on blissful little jaunts, these machines are absolute beasts to ride. Every lap you saw riders' rear wheels lifting in the air as they were going into Club, and the top speeds into Stowe on each lap were over 200mph. The braking forces it takes to haul them down from those speeds---and the same forces the bikes generate into riders' hands, forearms, and shoulders is immense. I get they aren't flat out at 10/10ths every lap, but I don't buy at all that the pace was pedestrian. I'm not sure you are suggesting that, but it seems like it to some degree. Regarding the maps, fuel, etc.---manipulating those while riding these things probably isn't as easy as they make it look.

Dovi put in a tactical master class this race, and this isn't the first time he's done that this year. Maybe if Rossi would have held back just a bit, he'd have had something left to strike back with at the end. You know if he had it, he'd have used it. How many times have we seen him do it on the last laps to people?

Anyways, I'm an unabashed fan of the sport, love it pieces, and on those race day sundays my wife and kids know to steer clear when that hour(s) of television comes on and I sit down with beverage to enjoy. :thumbup: 8) I've been to COTA every year since it has been held, been to Laguna twice until they stopped holding it there, and next year I've got designs on going to Mugello with my older brother, if I can get the requisite time off work. One of these days I'll post a pic of my Monster on here. A prized possession!!!! :]

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
Rossi suffers suspected broken leg in training..... :-((


http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/881513 ... o-accident

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9372
Location: Ireland
Cold Gin wrote:
Rossi suffers suspected broken leg in training..... :-((


http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/881513 ... o-accident

Two injuries away from the circuit in one season? What does he be at?!

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
Cold Gin wrote:
Rossi suffers suspected broken leg in training..... :-((


http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/881513 ... o-accident

I know this is supposed to help in some way even though it's a different discipline but I've always thought before that it's quite a dangerous way to prepare for a GP, after all he also injured himself before the last GP.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 pm
Posts: 52
Well this sucks, wish him the best, but for sure the season is over for Rossi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
Surgery will be necessary, injuries confirmed.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp ... +Rubber%29

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 53
You cant just go to a gym for 2 weeks then turn up at a track and expect to be competitive on Sunday. If you follow the riders on Instagram they're all riding like men possessed in between races.

Poor weather forecast for Misano. I expect the crowd figures to be well down as most of the people attending are only interested in 1 man.

Theres never a good time to get a big injury but if he's in shape in 6 weeks for the flyaways he'll only miss 2 races. Both could easily see rain and strange results as well


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
Zazu wrote:
You cant just go to a gym for 2 weeks then turn up at a track and expect to be competitive on Sunday. If you follow the riders on Instagram they're all riding like men possessed in between races.

Poor weather forecast for Misano. I expect the crowd figures to be well down as most of the people attending are only interested in 1 man.

Theres never a good time to get a big injury but if he's in shape in 6 weeks for the flyaways he'll only miss 2 races. Both could easily see rain and strange results as well

I just find it a bit crazy that they take part in something were they are more likely to get injured then their day job.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/881592 ... to-recover

Back for Motegi? That's unreal for a 38 year old that has already fractured the same leg and had surgery on it.

These riders are such tough guys....seriously. Vinales is probably a bit relieved; we'll see if he can amp up the pressure on Dovi and Marquez.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
pokerman wrote:
Zazu wrote:
You cant just go to a gym for 2 weeks then turn up at a track and expect to be competitive on Sunday. If you follow the riders on Instagram they're all riding like men possessed in between races.

Poor weather forecast for Misano. I expect the crowd figures to be well down as most of the people attending are only interested in 1 man.

Theres never a good time to get a big injury but if he's in shape in 6 weeks for the flyaways he'll only miss 2 races. Both could easily see rain and strange results as well

I just find it a bit crazy that they take part in something were they are more likely to get injured then their day job.


From a common sense perspective, absolutely, it makes no sense. The reality of the situation is, though, they all ride like this in between races. IF they don't, they lose something. It helps in some way. I'm not sure how, but it does. I saw Lorenzo's facebook today showing him out doing the same thing with a big smile on his face. Training for these GP's has the usual elements---running, biking, cardio work. But the best workout for the brain and the muscles is to ride, and they all seem to the dirt track thing, and a lot of them do motocross. Which I definitely think is crazy, based on how easy it is to get injured.

Can't wait until Sunday!!! Misano is always a great event.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/mot ... di-design/

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
Quali results from Misano:

1. Maverick Viñales ESP Movistar Yamaha (YZR-M1) 1m 32.439s [Lap 8/9] 294km/h (Max)
2. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (GP17) 1m 32.601s +0.162s [9/9] 296km/h
3. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 1m 32.636s +0.197s [4/7] 292km/h
4. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 32.768s +0.329s [8/9] 293km/h
5. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Ducati Team (GP17) 1m 32.792s +0.353s [5/9] 293km/h
6. Johann Zarco FRA Monster Yamaha Tech3 (YZR-M1)* 1m 32.885s +0.446s [7/8] 291km/h
7. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda (RC213V) 1m 32.992s +0.553s [8/9] 295km/h
8. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac (GP17) 1m 32.997s +0.558s [8/8] 292km/h
9. Aleix Espargaro ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 33.149s +0.710s [9/9] 290km/h
10. Alvaro Bautista ESP Pull&Bear Aspar (GP16) 1m 33.417s +0.978s [7/8] 295km/h
11. Michele Pirro ITA Ducati Team (GP17) 1m 33.491s +1.052s [6/6] 291km/h
12. Karel Abraham CZE Pull&Bear Aspar (GP15) 1m 34.374s +1.935s [6/8] 292km/

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
Scintillating performance from #93, and what a ride from Danilo.
Absolutely gutted for JL99, who was destroying the field. I'll probably have more thoughts later after I catch my breath. As it stands, the title race is even on points between Dovi and Marquez!!! Thrilling theatre.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 53
Could watch him all day, he' special


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
Cold Gin wrote:
Scintillating performance from #93, and what a ride from Danilo.
Absolutely gutted for JL99, who was destroying the field. I'll probably have more thoughts later after I catch my breath. As it stands, the title race is even on points between Dovi and Marquez!!! Thrilling theatre.

I don't think you can call it destroying the field if you fall off the bike after a couple of laps, maybe more like over riding in the conditions whilst other riders were being more sensible.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
Zazu wrote:
Could watch him all day, he' special

Yep he's winning basically on an inferior bike especially today, Ducati finished 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th whilst another Ducati rider was leading the race in the early laps before he crashed.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Scintillating performance from #93, and what a ride from Danilo.
Absolutely gutted for JL99, who was destroying the field. I'll probably have more thoughts later after I catch my breath. As it stands, the title race is even on points between Dovi and Marquez!!! Thrilling theatre.

I don't think you can call it destroying the field if you fall off the bike after a couple of laps, maybe more like over riding in the conditions whilst other riders were being more sensible.


Nope, disagree entirely. Lorenzo was running in the 47's when nobody else could very early.To put that pace in perspective, Marquez, in the best track conditions all race, didn't do a 47 until the last lap.
JL had gapped everyone on pace alone. It's difficult to keep temperature in the tires in wet races by running cautious and slow. Arguably, that's asking for a high side or crash just as much if not moreso than your estimation of "overriding". He made the mistake, and he did pay the price, but to suggest he wasn't fast or that he wasn't dominating is factually incorrect.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
Cold Gin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Scintillating performance from #93, and what a ride from Danilo.
Absolutely gutted for JL99, who was destroying the field. I'll probably have more thoughts later after I catch my breath. As it stands, the title race is even on points between Dovi and Marquez!!! Thrilling theatre.

I don't think you can call it destroying the field if you fall off the bike after a couple of laps, maybe more like over riding in the conditions whilst other riders were being more sensible.


Nope, disagree entirely. Lorenzo was running in the 47's when nobody else could very early.To put that pace in perspective, Marquez, in the best track conditions all race, didn't do a 47 until the last lap.
JL had gapped everyone on pace alone. It's difficult to keep temperature in the tires in wet races by running cautious and slow. Arguably, that's asking for a high side or crash just as much if not moreso than your estimation of "overriding". He made the mistake, and he did pay the price, but to suggest he wasn't fast or that he wasn't dominating is factually incorrect.

He was able to go fast for 2/3 laps, the race is 26/28 laps long?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3875
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Scintillating performance from #93, and what a ride from Danilo.
Absolutely gutted for JL99, who was destroying the field. I'll probably have more thoughts later after I catch my breath. As it stands, the title race is even on points between Dovi and Marquez!!! Thrilling theatre.

I don't think you can call it destroying the field if you fall off the bike after a couple of laps, maybe more like over riding in the conditions whilst other riders were being more sensible.


Nope, disagree entirely. Lorenzo was running in the 47's when nobody else could very early.To put that pace in perspective, Marquez, in the best track conditions all race, didn't do a 47 until the last lap.
JL had gapped everyone on pace alone. It's difficult to keep temperature in the tires in wet races by running cautious and slow. Arguably, that's asking for a high side or crash just as much if not moreso than your estimation of "overriding". He made the mistake, and he did pay the price, but to suggest he wasn't fast or that he wasn't dominating is factually incorrect.

He was able to go fast for 2/3 laps, the race is 26/28 laps long?

It wasn't just 2/3 laps. He was well and truly in control for the first few laps of the race and doing superior times to all other riders. No telling what would have happened when the circuit dried out but he was in control up to the point where he went down. Pretty significant too as this was the first time where he really looked better than Dovi during a race.


Last edited by sandman1347 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 1104
He was obviously pushing, and pushed to far, you have to stay on the bike and finish, the pay money he's on and brought in as #1 rider to just crash like that is very disappointing when the race was in the bag easily for him, a stupid mistake from someone who should not be making them, but at least he shown some speed and confidence in the wet which was a surprise to see.... but Ducati are not going to be happy with his performance yet again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 53
Ducati will be fine with his performance because his race goal was completely different to Dovi and co. It wasnt like he was going banzai, lots of riders have made similar mistakes when leading in similar conditions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Scintillating performance from #93, and what a ride from Danilo.
Absolutely gutted for JL99, who was destroying the field. I'll probably have more thoughts later after I catch my breath. As it stands, the title race is even on points between Dovi and Marquez!!! Thrilling theatre.

I don't think you can call it destroying the field if you fall off the bike after a couple of laps, maybe more like over riding in the conditions whilst other riders were being more sensible.


Nope, disagree entirely. Lorenzo was running in the 47's when nobody else could very early.To put that pace in perspective, Marquez, in the best track conditions all race, didn't do a 47 until the last lap.
JL had gapped everyone on pace alone. It's difficult to keep temperature in the tires in wet races by running cautious and slow. Arguably, that's asking for a high side or crash just as much if not moreso than your estimation of "overriding". He made the mistake, and he did pay the price, but to suggest he wasn't fast or that he wasn't dominating is factually incorrect.

He was able to go fast for 2/3 laps, the race is 26/28 laps long?

It wasn't just 2/3 laps. He was well and truly in control for the first few laps of the race and doing superior times to all other riders. No telling what would have happened when the circuit dried out but he was in control up to the point where he went down. Pretty significant too as this was the first time where he really looked better than Dovi during a race.

I believe the last wet race Lorenzo lead the first lap and looked good before he slowly went backwards, falling off after a few laps is more like a have a go hero.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4194
Location: Michigan, USA
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
He was able to go fast for 2/3 laps, the race is 26/28 laps long?

It wasn't just 2/3 laps. He was well and truly in control for the first few laps of the race and doing superior times to all other riders. No telling what would have happened when the circuit dried out but he was in control up to the point where he went down. Pretty significant too as this was the first time where he really looked better than Dovi during a race.

I believe the last wet race Lorenzo lead the first lap and looked good before he slowly went backwards, falling off after a few laps is more like a have a go hero.

Well, if you go by the logic of Verstappen fans, Lorenzo destroyed the field and would certainly have won...

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 6662
Location: Belgium
Apparently he was more focused on switching engine maps than the upcoming change of direction. :? (Source: Autosport) What a pity, I would have liked to see what race tactic Ducati were running, and apart from that, I was quite happy with his riding.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 612
Location: McKinney, TX
Mark van der Mark to replace Rossi at Aragon.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/882333 ... lace-rossi

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
Fiki wrote:
Apparently he was more focused on switching engine maps than the upcoming change of direction. :? (Source: Autosport) What a pity, I would have liked to see what race tactic Ducati were running, and apart from that, I was quite happy with his riding.

I will give him some leeway with that then.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
Cold Gin wrote:
Mark van der Mark to replace Rossi at Aragon.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/882333 ... lace-rossi

I doubt he will do anything special.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 53
Lorenzo a a have a go hero lol

Just the 5 world championships.... has led plenty of wet races from start to finish.

VDM just has to look respectable. Would be amazed if they waste a test day letting him ride the bike before race weekend. Would be very surprised if he challenges the top 10


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 22323
Zazu wrote:
Lorenzo a a have a go hero lol

Just the 5 world championships.... has led plenty of wet races from start to finish.

VDM just has to look respectable. Would be amazed if they waste a test day letting him ride the bike before race weekend. Would be very surprised if he challenges the top 10

That was just a reference to a rider leading the first few laps before binning it.

Recent form for Lorenzo in the wet races these past few years is not good at all, in the past he has performed quite well in the wet but these past 3/4 years a wet race tends to guarantee a poor result.

Yes with VDM I would lay odds that he doesn't make Q2.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 14th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Jenson's Understeer, owenmahamilton and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group