planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:47 am 

I liked the subtle green lightning on the original livery concept, but I'm not complaining about the one they're using, very nice.

I think I like almost every livery in Fe, very colourful, each team is distinctive at a glance and good variety between teams.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:34 pm 

mcdo wrote:
This series isn't about aero. The front wing can look whatever way they want it to look

Not sure on the relevance of that post. Nobody has said it's about the aero. It's an aesthetic issue some people have, myself included, not a complaint about the aero efficiency of the front wing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:05 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
mcdo wrote:
This series isn't about aero. The front wing can look whatever way they want it to look

Not sure on the relevance of that post. Nobody has said it's about the aero. It's an aesthetic issue some people have, myself included, not a complaint about the aero efficiency of the front wing.

I don't know why it bothers anyone. People are so trapped inside traditional boxes. It's a barely functional part in the grand scheme of things and fair play to FE for not wanting to look the same as other single seaters

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:58 am 

mcdo wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I don't know why it bothers anyone. People are so trapped inside traditional boxes. It's a barely functional part in the grand scheme of things and fair play to FE for not wanting to look the same as other single seaters

But people are talking about it from an aesthetic viewpoint. It's not about it's relevance to the cars performance. Some of us do not like the way it looks. That's all.

I think the rest of the car, especially with the Jag paintwork, looks really nice. I just personally wish the front wing was different.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:43 am 

I quite like that front wing. Better than the over engineered sh.ite in F1.

Should probably make more of an effort to watch Formula E, there's quite a few talented guys in the lineup this year. Choice of circuits intrigues me as well.

Is there any sort of benefit to Renault running in this formula where they can take info back to F1?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:16 am 

GingerFurball wrote:

Should probably make more of an effort to watch Formula E, there's quite a few talented guys in the lineup this year. Choice of circuits intrigues me as well.

Is there any sort of benefit to Renault running in this formula where they can take info back to F1?

They could learn a bit more about battery technology than other f1 teams by competing in Fe, such as size, weight, efficiency etc. But in the first year, all batteries were supplied by Williams engineering (don't know about this year or last), so don't know how much they're developing their own tech in that department.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:44 pm 

I'll throw my hat into the liking the the front wing camp. I certainly prefer it to the nose cone looking things ahead of the front wheels in the first 2 years.

I also don't see how it would affect the drivers spotting where their wheels are in relation to the apex of corners while giving them the ability to know where the wing is when in close quarters with other cars which happens a lot in this series.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:53 pm 

No worse than the 2012 F1 noses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:07 pm 

Banana Man wrote:

Steady, lets not get carried away here ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:16 pm 

Banana Man wrote:

And the controversial statement of the year award goes to... :P

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:57 am 

GingerFurball wrote:

Totally agree. I hate the oversized overengineered clunky contraptions F1 has had since 2009

FE is really setting itself apart with their choice in car design, circuits and "future gazing" support features. A concerted effort to make sure it's not just F1 with batteries

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:47 am 

So onto the most exciting part of this year's Formula E championship (for me anyway)... ROBORACE!

Is there actually any news about this getting around? As far as I can tell they're meant to start racing in one month and they haven't even got a single car running on track yet. Is this going to be an embarrassing last minute delay until 2017-18 season?

PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:47 am 

Blackhander wrote:
So onto the most exciting part of this year's Formula E championship (for me anyway)... ROBORACE!

Is there actually any news about this getting around? As far as I can tell they're meant to start racing in one month and they haven't even got a single car running on track yet. Is this going to be an embarrassing last minute delay until 2017-18 season?

The development car DevBot is up and running isn't it?

I think I read somewhere that they're not planning on being ready for the first race. Maybe the 4th race in February after the big gap on the calendar

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:39 am 

Devbot is kind of about half way there I think. It uses the motor, sensors and processor of the planned cars, but it's all just shoehorned into a pre built lmp2 chassis.

But if you're correct in that they're not staying until February then that is still doable. Pretty keen to see how it all goes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:58 am 

Blackhander wrote:
Devbot is kind of about half way there I think. It uses the motor, sensors and processor of the planned cars, but it's all just shoehorned into a pre built lmp2 chassis.

But if you're correct in that they're not staying until February then that is still doable. Pretty keen to see how it all goes.

I'm not a big tech head but I am fascinated to see how it goes. February was just my guess but yeah they won't be at the first race

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:39 pm 

I would be bloody hilarious if the start of the first Roborace was like the Monty Python 100 yard race for people with no sense of direction!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYvbaqfq9mI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:19 am 

Donington test analysis
http://current-e.com/features/by-number ... ason-test/

Just 23 days to the Season 3 debut in Hong Kong!

Brand new track, brand new challenges

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:26 am 

2 years ago!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:56 pm 

Gentlemen, start your e-ngines! Formula E is coming in New York

Source: Website

Agag: "To race in New York City is a historic moment - not only for Formula E, but for motorsport in general - and again highlights the philosophy of Formula E to bring fully-electric racing to the world’s greatest cities. When we originally started the project we could only dream of bringing Formula E to a place like New York, with arguably the most recognisable skyline of any city in the world. I’d like to thank everyone involved in helping bring Formula E to New York for many years to come”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:03 am 

DS Citroen Virgin & Renault reveals their liveries

- Dario Franchitti & Martin Haven to be the commentary duo in Hong Kong.

- McLaren wins battery supply tender for S5
http://classic.autosport.com/news/repor ... 1448620844

- 8 days to Hong Kong! :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 am 

I've always liked the Virgin livery, but they've done a good job this year (especially with tyr new front wing). Looks great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am 

Mercedes secures Season 5 Formula E Entry
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 1448620844
http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016 ... ive-entry/

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sunday is Hong Kong e-Prix day, going to do the thread in the next days

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:01 pm 

thegamer23 wrote:

Renault and Mercedes now in... Just waiting on Ferrari.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:06 pm 

Good news for both fans and the series as a whole.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:09 pm 

It would appear that the budget for a season is capped at $3.5 million. This is a tiny amount for Merc so I can't blame them.

I just hope that this will lead to proper circuits being used and longer races. Could be good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:15 pm 

thegamer23 wrote:

This is fantastic. Was it being rumoured? I hadn't heard a thing about it before now

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:04 am 

Piquet & Turvey lockout front row with NextEV 1-2

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126584/piquet-leads-shock-nextev-12-as-jaguar-toils

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:23 am 

Complete Marrakesh GP circuit for Formula E!

Lenght
: 3 km
Turns: 12
WTCC Lap Record: 1'21''740 (Huff - 2015)

Onboard Lap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsaTJTk-ClQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:16 pm 

The dog-with-his-head-out-the-window-eye camera is awful.

Looks like it could be a good circuit for FE though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:21 pm 

Looks like the WEC Nurburgring round will be getting moved after all. Glad to see this headache getting sorted

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/nurb ... a-e-clash/

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:50 pm 

Just saw Agag on the grid at the Mexican GP. DC said something about formula e and formula 1 comng together but didn't catch what he said. I had a quick look online and couldn't see any news about the 2 of them. Does anyone know what DC was talking about?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:58 pm 

minchy wrote:
Just saw Agag on the grid at the Mexican GP. DC said something about formula e and formula 1 comng together but didn't catch what he said. I had a quick look online and couldn't see any news about the 2 of them. Does anyone know what DC was talking about?

Both managed by Liberty Media.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:59 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
minchy wrote:

Both managed by Liberty Media.

Much obliged :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:54 pm 

Did anyone catch the Vegas eRace this past weekend? I thought it would be quite interesting so I followed it a bit.

The format was: a weekend including free practice, qualifying race and a final race. Weekend contested by a mix of the best sim racers and regular F-E drivers. Each their own playseat with reclining seats, wheels, pedals, and a big screen in front of them. And a grand prize of $200.000 for the winner with $25.000 for pole position and good money for the fastest lap as well.

Right from the started a sim racer named Bono Huis was very quick, but some F-E drivers managed to do well too. Came race time, Bono Huis was on pole but Felix Rosenqvist shared the front row with him, which was a great performance.

So... race in a few bullets:
- Rosenqvist did incredibly well as he first lost ground on Huis but got accustomed to the situation/sim/car better and better and finished right on Huis' tail. Great performance by Rosenqvist there.
- After Huis and Rosenqvist there was a whole bunch of sim racers. After some took each other out in a crash, the real drivers collected some good positions as well. Overall the level of competitivity of the real drivers surprised me somewhat.
- The general racing standards were pretty high. I had kind of expected a crash-fest but this looked like an exact equivalent of a real race. I saw one driver tagging the wall at the exit of a corner resulting him to crash out, and 3 simmers going three wide into a corner so that was a hefty crash. But for the rest it was a clean and professional race by all.
- Olli Pahkala, a front-runner who was running around 3rd/4th/5th, received the Fanboost. However, the system bugged and instead of getting Fanboost for just 5 seconds, he could make use of it during 6 laps and gained more than 2 seconds per lap. He swapped cars earlier in the race than the frontrunners and through his pace he took the lead after Huis and Rosenqvist pitted. The result was controversy and an awkward podium. Post-race the organisation decided to add 12 seconds to his time, the perceived time advantage due to the bugged out Fanboost, and as such the podium was restored in "correct" order - or deserved order, if you will. Now this sparked even more controversy as the most popular driver (seeing he got Fanboost and all :) ) got demoted.

I actually had fun watching this. Who's with me? :)
And those who watched, I'd like to know your ideas about the fanboost incident and how it was resolved.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:11 pm 

I didn't watch it but was interested to know how it would all pan out. I fully expected the sim racers to run away with it but Rosenqvist did a hell of a job. Of course then I heard about the glitch and resulting controversy - it really put a blemish on the whole thing

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:24 pm 

I didn't catch it but was interested to watch it. The controversy actually sounds like something that would happen in f1 with the while stewards decision and penalty applied :lol:

But I think the decision was fair enough as it played out as it would have in real life and if the same thing did happen in real life, a driver would notice their max power above what it should be, stop using it and report the fault to race control (don't know if they had anything similar with the sim race.

Also I would expect a lot of real drivers to be close to or ahead of most of the sim racers. I have watched a lot of semi-professional sim racers use nothing but the overhead camera which I'm assuming would not be allowed in this, so would be a huge disadvantage to those that were used it using it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:06 am 

minchy wrote:
Also I would expect a lot of real drivers to be close to or ahead of most of the sim racers.

In that case you are underestimating the advantage for the sim racers, that they spend so much more time with their sims and are used to go by nothing more than what they see on a screen directly in front of them. They are fully trained and used to have no other inputs. This is a big contrast to the real racers who are used to go by front vision, peripheral vision, directional hearing, accurate senses coming off the steering wheel, direct view on tyres, etc etc.
The real racers are essentially a bit handicapped when driving a sim game compared to the sim gamers as they have to relearn how to be fast.

So it's a bit unrealistic to have expected the real drivers to be close or ahead. And in fact only one of them could fight it out with the top sim drivers.

Quote:
I have watched a lot of semi-professional sim racers use nothing but the overhead camera which I'm assuming would not be allowed in this, so would be a huge disadvantage to those that were used it using it.

Yeah no pro sim racer will use overhead cam, certainly no one present this past weekend. You can't even be semi-pro using overhead. Are you sure you didn't just watch some "reasonably good" drivers in Gran Turismo or something? Make no mistake, that's far from a sim...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 pm 

Speaking of formula E that reminds me of the most exciting part... ROBORACE! When does that all get underway? Still not much information aims from what I can find?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:09 pm 

Blackhander wrote:
Speaking of formula E that reminds me of the most exciting part... ROBORACE! When does that all get underway? Still not much information aims from what I can find?

It has been touted for midway through the season. I don't think they've specified which event though

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:54 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Blackhander wrote:

It has been touted for midway through the season. I don't think they've specified which event though

Cheers, that's really all I can find too. I'm not sure the fact that they're being so vague about everything is a good sign...