planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: 50/1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:06 am 

50/1 is the currently offered odds on Sauber getting a podium at the Oz GP - I've put a tenner on it, and considering they have the same exhaust config as RBR, I think they're pretty good odds. The first race of the season is the best chance for mid-field teams to score a podium - just look at Petrov last year - before all the major teams bring in their updates. At 50/1 odds, I think it's well worth a punt; all you have to do is decide if you're gonna back Kamui or Checo...Personally, my money's on Perez.

Post subject: Re: 50/1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:12 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
That's well worth a punt, I'd have thought about it at 25/1. I had 20 on Button for the win at 8/1 last week, was very surprised to find those odds (Hambone was 3/1!).

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:16 am 

With which bookies?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 am 

Look at weather forecast. If it's wet race, Sauber have a chance. I can't imagine that at least 2 of big teams like Merc, RBR, Ferrari, Lotus or McLaren aren't faster than Sauber. With wet race there is always possibility that Sauber will try some risky strategy and score podium.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:29 am 

JZDark wrote:
50/1 is the currently offered odds on Sauber getting a podium at the Oz GP - I've put a tenner on it, and considering they have the same exhaust config as RBR, I think they're pretty good odds. The first race of the season is the best chance for mid-field teams to score a podium - just look at Petrov last year - before all the major teams bring in their updates. At 50/1 odds, I think it's well worth a punt; all you have to do is decide if you're gonna back Kamui or Checo...Personally, my money's on Perez.

Bookies or exchange? That's worth a lay if you've got the liability.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 am 

https://www.skybet.com/formula-1/austra ... slipopen=1

and Dizlexik, yes, I think a wet race will up those odds (Button for the win!), and I know it's very specific, but looking at what Vitaly managed at the opening race last year, I think 50/1 odds are well worth it. Just thought I'd bring it to attention, I'm not predicting owt!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 pm 
Ouch, it's a wonderful payout if it happens, but I would not count on miracles. Of the two Sauber drivers, Perez is a rookie, and the best Kobayashi has ever finished was 5th at Monaco in 2011. It would take a perfect storm, and a lot of luck for that to happen.

But I do wish you luck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:28 pm 

As of today the prediction is that there is a 40% chance of rain on Sunday: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/- ... 144.966641

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:36 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Ouch, it's a wonderful payout if it happens, but I would not count on miracles. Of the two Sauber drivers, Perez is a rookie, and the best Kobayashi has ever finished was 5th at Monaco in 2011. It would take a perfect storm, and a lot of luck for that to happen.

But I do wish you luck.

Perez isn't a rookie anymore. Both he and Kamui are perfectly capable of podiums if the car was improved, which is what the OP is saying; there's a lot of talk (regardless of how pointless it is to make predictions about the testing) that the Sauber is a good car and set to be more competitive than last year's. Coupled with some variable weather, which Australia can throw up, it's not that unlikely -- especially considering Petrov's podium last year in dry conditions!

50/1 are good odds!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:26 pm 

Balibari wrote:
That's well worth a punt, I'd have thought about it at 25/1.

You kind of inadvertently hit the nail on the head there, the OP says 50/1 for Sauber to get a podium but each driver is 50/1 so really it is only possible to back sauber for podium at about 25/1

Sauber could potentially surprise I do agree though

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:52 pm 

Could this be like 2008? They finished 3rd in the constructors that season with Kubica and Heidfeld.

Looking at the combo of Koboyashi and Perez, I could not see why. Koboyashi is looking to stay relevent this season because lets be honest, Perez kept him pretty ernest last season. Kamui I think could possibly be on the podium because he seems more tenacious and even quicker this season after testing. In longer stints he looks better and so does Perez. If, Sauber pulls off a podium... I'd eat my socks then, these guys are out to prove to everyone they are a great combo.

Kamui is trying to dumb down the stereotype of a Japanese driver.

Perez is with Ferrari, but his sponsors is what mainly him so viable for Sauber.

Oh boy...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:12 pm 

I think vetted (pole win fastest lap) is the bet to be going for throughout te season if it ends up like last

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:18 am 

Kiante wrote:
Could this be like 2008? They finished 3rd in the constructors that season with Kubica and Heidfeld.

Looking at the combo of Koboyashi and Perez, I could not see why. Koboyashi is looking to stay relevent this season because lets be honest, Perez kept him pretty ernest last season. Kamui I think could possibly be on the podium because he seems more tenacious and even quicker this season after testing. In longer stints he looks better and so does Perez. If, Sauber pulls off a podium... I'd eat my socks then, these guys are out to prove to everyone they are a great combo.

Kamui is trying to dumb down the stereotype of a Japanese driver.

Perez is with Ferrari, but his sponsors is what mainly him so viable for Sauber.

Oh boy...

I don't think it 2008 again. In 2008 that team was huge. They had over 750 in factory in Hinwil, the best wind tunnel, supercomputer and people working on their own engine in Munich, but the main person who designed F1.08 was already working on car that won both titles in 2009. Now they still have the best supercomputer and wind tunnel, but with 250-300 people in factory they won't be able to compete against the big teams over the season. Maybe they can score some wins at the beginning of season, but later they are doomed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:31 pm 

Thanks for the tip.
I just put 5 on Perez (top 6), 5 on Kobayashi (top 6) and 5 on Vettel for pole, win and fastest lap.
Last of the big spenders I know :lol: but it will put a bit of extra excitement into the weekend.
I'd only spend it in the pub anyway!