planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:12 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 1993
Looks like Williams trying out some er..interesting additions.


_________________
Top Three Team Champions 2017 (With Jezza13)
Group Pick 'Em 2016 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9257
Kill it with fire!!!

Seriously though, that doesn't look legal for this year at least?

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 am
Posts: 1252
Covalent wrote:
Kill it with fire!!!

Seriously though, that doesn't look legal for this year at least?


They've confirmed it's not legal but they're considering airflow concepts for 2017
You're right though, it is fugly as hell


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7359
Yeah apparently it's to simulate 2017 downforce levels as best they can in order to see how their car (and I suppose the current tyres) work.

Image

Image

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2016/ ... a-testing/

http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blog


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4798
When are the Viking horns on the engine cover coming back? :lol:

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 1865
Location: Miami, Florida
I don't think it's all that bad, but for 2017 the wings are supposed to be wider and lower. This is running that element way up high and farther forward than will be allowed. I wouldn't be surprised to learn they are testing this for new things down the pipe.

EDIT: Holy hell batman, what on earth are those Viking Horns up front! LOL

_________________
HAMILTON :: ALONSO :: VETTEL :: RAIKKONEN :: RICCIARDO :: VERSTAPPEN
BOTTAS :: MAGNUSSEN :: OCON :: SAINZ :: PEREZ :: VANDOORNE :: HULKENBERG
GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: ERICSON :: LECLERC :: STROLL :: SEROTKIN :: HARTLEY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:47 pm
Posts: 13
It may look funny but I like that we're seeing different approaches being tried.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 am
Posts: 1252
akeizm wrote:
It may look funny but I like that we're seeing different approaches being tried.

This, would be great to see loads of different interpretations but tbh that's not usually the case with aero is it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:03 am
Posts: 340
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
EDIT: Holy hell batman, what on earth are those Viking Horns up front! LOL


Haha it looks darn horrible, it's gotta be to stop flexing of the front wing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 8056
rivf1 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
EDIT: Holy hell batman, what on earth are those Viking Horns up front! LOL


Haha it looks darn horrible, it's gotta be to stop flexing of the front wing.



They seem to be supporting the inner end of the winglet so as to allow a gap between the tup wall and the wing.

Possibly experimenting with air flow to the rear again, or the s duct?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:03 am
Posts: 340
moby wrote:
rivf1 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
EDIT: Holy hell batman, what on earth are those Viking Horns up front! LOL


Haha it looks darn horrible, it's gotta be to stop flexing of the front wing.



They seem to be supporting the inner end of the winglet so as to allow a gap between the tup wall and the wing.

Possibly experimenting with air flow to the rear again, or the s duct?


Yep you are right, if you look at their original one, seems they have removed the brace between the lower and middle wing and the bull horn controls the gap(i think??, kind of hard to tell from the angle of the above pic).

(pic too large to post)
http://gazzettaworld.gazzetta.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/LAPR0370.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7359
Mercedes last minute decision to run Werhlein on the second day of testing means that they will no longer be able to run with Hamilton at the second test at Silverstone as previously planned. They will have to use junior drivers on both days.

Not exactly big news but it gives Rosberg an extra day in the car, I wonder why they chose not to run Ocon at the last minute.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 10:54 am
Posts: 857
Location: Melbourne Australia
Got to ask a question. Both Ric and Vestappen have tested the new Remault engine and both have said it has more power than the current one.

How do they know that when the times they have been setting are not as quick as they did last weekend in quali?
Do they run the engines in low power modes? How do they know ultimate pace without showing their hand in the test?

_________________
I support: Ricciardo
I also like: Perez, Hulk, Sainz, Button and Alonso
I respect: Ham, Vettel and Max


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am
Posts: 1849
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Randine wrote:
Got to ask a question. Both Ric and Vestappen have tested the new Remault engine and both have said it has more power than the current one.

How do they know that when the times they have been setting are not as quick as they did last weekend in quali?
Do they run the engines in low power modes? How do they know ultimate pace without showing their hand in the test?


Probably running much higher fuel loads during testing would be my guess? Red bull tend to run a fairly heavy car in practice and testing.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 8056
Blackhander wrote:
Randine wrote:
Got to ask a question. Both Ric and Vestappen have tested the new Remault engine and both have said it has more power than the current one.

How do they know that when the times they have been setting are not as quick as they did last weekend in quali?
Do they run the engines in low power modes? How do they know ultimate pace without showing their hand in the test?


Probably running much higher fuel loads during testing would be my guess? Red bull tend to run a fairly heavy car in practice and testing.


Possibly to do with the settings on the engine and the recovery systems. They will probably not have the test engine wound right up, and same with the re-gen stuff. No point wrecking it before they have a good test, is there.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AnRs, Greenman, Invade and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group