planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 pm 
Ok. New season is on the way & Martin Brundle is commentator again.

So what is your recommendation for him to improving? Tell good & bad aspects.

I will send your opinions to him after two days.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:47 pm 

For a start, he is the colour commentator again and not the play by play commentator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:32 pm 

Brundle is awesome. As an ex driver he knows a lot of stuff from the drivers point of view. I also like his sense of humour.

Imo DC and Brundle combo was really good. Sad to see it only lasted a year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:36 pm 

Sweepstakes on "look but don't stare"?

1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 races.

I'm calling 2.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:42 pm 

Would love to see him get an interview with Mr Schumacher on the Grid, but I think HRTs 1st win will come 1st. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:46 pm 

GarJE wrote:

1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 races.

I'm calling 2.

Look but never stare

and yh. I've started to expect it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:23 pm 

He's preety close to perfect in my view. Insightful and entertaining, with a great sense of humour. A real wordsmith, but doesn't try too hard.

What I am worried about is the form of his colleague. I know nothing of him, but I would hate another legard-esque commentator in the box alongside Martin. It's a real shame they couldn't have brough David Couthard over too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:58 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
GarJE wrote:

1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 races.

I'm calling 2.

Look but never stare

and yh. I've started to expect it

Won't Crofty be lead commentator? With Brundle going back to the job he did for so many years except the last season.
In that case, that phrase will have been retired.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:30 pm 

Brundle is Greaaat

Look but NEVER Stare :nod: :nod:

He will be great with Crofty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:36 pm 

I find he tends to miss a lot of on track action because he has gone off on a tangent.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:18 pm 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
I find he tends to miss a lot of on track action because he has gone off on a tangent.

He's missed a couple of bits here and there, but nothing to really get frustrated about and definitely not as much as other commentators do. Prime example is Brazil 2008; Hamilton crossed the line before the the 5 Live commentators realised he'd overtaken Glock; Brundle clocked it the moment it happened.

I can't speak for non-English language commentary, but there is no better commentator than Brundle, as a technical commentator or main commentator - he's brilliant. It only took him about 2 or 3 races before he was better than James Allen ever was (that's not to say JA wasn't good, but Brundle aced it). As you can probably tell, I'm a huge Brundle fan and he's the 2nd biggest (1st being 50/50 live/non-live races on BBC) reason I switched to Sky, but tbh I might have even stuck with the BBC if they'd kept Brundle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:20 pm 

f1_is_awsom0 wrote:
Brundle is Greaaat

Don't get your hopes up, Croft could end up being Legard Vol. 2; his commentary might work on Radio, but TV is completely different. Although Croft has the hindsight of knowing just how s**t Legard was, so he'll be able to avoid the pitfalls.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:22 pm 

sgt.hartman wrote:
f1_is_awsom0 wrote:
Brundle is Greaaat

Don't get your hopes up, Croft could end up being Legard Vol. 2; his commentary might work on Radio, but TV is completely different. Although Croft has the hindsight of knowing just how s**t Legard was, so he'll be able to avoid the pitfalls.

He basically had two years of practise thanks to the Red Button as well.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:16 am 

sgt.hartman wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

He's missed a couple of bits here and there, but nothing to really get frustrated about and definitely not as much as other commentators do. Prime example is Brazil 2008; Hamilton crossed the line before the the 5 Live commentators realised he'd overtaken Glock; Brundle clocked it the moment it happened.

I can't speak for non-English language commentary, but there is no better commentator than Brundle, as a technical commentator or main commentator - he's brilliant. It only took him about 2 or 3 races before he was better than James Allen ever was (that's not to say JA wasn't good, but Brundle aced it). As you can probably tell, I'm a huge Brundle fan and he's the 2nd biggest (1st being 50/50 live/non-live races on BBC) reason I switched to Sky, but tbh I might have even stuck with the BBC if they'd kept Brundle.

But sometimes when misses something he tends to wonder about what happened, while people could well see what really happened. I think it happened less when he was paired with DC, but when he was with Allen, it was him missing the obvious stuff and Allen explaining politely to Brundle what happened.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:20 am 

FaceLOL wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

But sometimes when misses something he tends to wonder about what happened, while people could well see what really happened. I think it happened less when he was paired with DC, but when he was with Allen, it was him missing the obvious stuff and Allen explaining politely to Brundle what happened.

Brundle bound to make mistakes, he spend years alongside Murray Walker.
I love the pitwalks. He's sharp with the interviews..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:32 am 

Martin Brundle and Tania Bauer are now both employed by SKY :blush:
Maybe they will do the gridwalk together from now on :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:46 am 

I love the grid walks, especially when he has been told by the "guys in my ear" to interview some random celeb who knows nothing about f1. The look on his face is priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:29 am 

As a lead he's good but not great.

Knows his stuff but so do Ant Davidson and Karun Chaundock.

When he on game he is brilliant but my issue is he does not generally play well with others. Ok, Legard was 'boring' but Brundle made no effort at all. He's been DC's manager and mate for years and they baled each other out continuously.

It showed it the BBC forum shows. EJ, Jake and even Ted got different degrees of indifference during discussions. 'Im better than you'

Don't get me, wrong with Crofty as lead and Brundle as the 'expert' all should be great but if there is no chemistry and it doesn't work I believe it'll be portrayed as an issue with Crofty not Brundle ! And as an 5Live listener during the Legard era that would be a shame.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:22 am 

I know it's a long shot - but is there possibility of suggesting to Martin Brundle to ask Bernie Ecclestone, should there be an occassion, whether FOM plans to ever release archival races on DVDs or in downloadable form? I'm sure Martin Brundle would be interested in some older races as well, as he seems to be great fan of older era racing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:25 am 

I like Brundle as a commentator but some times I think he can be a bit full of himself, I felt it was obvious he didn't like Johnathan Legard and I really enjoyed the D.C and M.B partnership last year. I just hope he gels with David Croft...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:45 am 

I love some of the gems he quoted, like this one in Aussie last year
“I hope (the Hispanias) are rather faster than they were this morning, because ‘moving chicane’ didn’t even cover it, they were so slow. They were certainly not gonna get fined for being too fast down the pitlane.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:47 am 

sgt.hartman wrote:

I'm sorry but you're talking out of your proverbial.

Crofty has extensive TV motor sports commentary experience. He commentated on GP2 for ITV in 2007 and 2008. He also has commentated on the Race of Champions and the Goodwood Festival of Speed and the Goodwood Revival for Sky. As someone has also pointed out he's been commentating on F1 via the red button since 2009 for all sessions - prior to 2009 he has been covering F1 since 2005 for 5Live. He's also done world feed commentary on GT Racing via their web channel (which later was shown on Sky).

He also knows motor sport in general and F1 particular and he knows it well. Why else has FOM been employing him as the official post qualy/race interviews? He's passionate, he's exuberant and he's characterful and one of the only negatives I have about him going to Sky is the fact he will no longer be hosting the brilliant pre and post race Chequered Flag podcasts (although I have high hopes the James Allen will be a decent replacement based on his own recently launched podcast).

I put Crofty firmly on par with Ben Edwards as the best motor sports commentator working currently in the UK and I am someone who doesn't just follow F1 but most motor sport and I have experienced many commentators from Raymond Baxter (who was the best ever) through to Simon Taylor via Murray Walker, James Allen, Martin Haven, Jeremy Shaw, James Hindhaulgh, Toby Moody, Charlie Cox and the numerous others.

Sorry but I am going to get on my soapbox here:

Why do some people dismiss commentators and TV based journalists seemingly based purely on their lack of knowledge or experience of the particular commentator/journalist's previous work? That's just ridiculously presumptive and ignorant. Instead of assuming they'd be rubbish why don't you wait wait and see. If you have knowledge of Crofty's previous TV specific commentary then fair enough but you're comments heavily imply that you have no such experience of Crofty's previous work. It seems the effect of Legard continues to influence people's opinion of anyone they deem to be "new" to F1 commentary. Oh and yes, I know Legard had previous experience of commentating on F1 before getting the TV gig in 2009 - he was Crofty's predecessor at Five Live and was generally disliked their.

I also am disgusted that there's also been people dismissing Natalie Pinkham and Georgie Thompson's commitment and knowledge of the sport because they are "hawt chixs". Seriously - are people saying that only unattractive women can be F1 fans? Because that's bull.

Sorry - ranters got to rant just as much as haters have got to hate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 am 

Pretty sure Crofty has done some live Football for the BBC on TV at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:56 am 

Pot Noodle wrote:
Pretty sure Crofty has done some live Football for the BBC on TV at some point.

A bit. The sport he mainly commentates on other than F1 is darts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 am 

Did any of you actually hear Crofty's GP2 television commentary? It wasn't good at all. Not to say that he won't have improved since then of course, but he's not infallible. The red button commentary was still primarily meant for radio.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:13 am 

Im sure since he was signed as lead commentator sky will have given him some old races to voice over and make sure he is comfortable, an organisation like sky isnt justgoing to throw him in the deepend at melborne and hope he is ok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:20 am 

KateLM wrote:
Did any of you actually hear Crofty's GP2 television commentary? It wasn't good at all. Not to say that he won't have improved since then of course, but he's not infallible. The red button commentary was still primarily meant for radio.

What was wrong with it. I thought it was perfectly decent and serviceable. I would say though the he works better with someone to bounce off. He clearly gets on well with Anthony Davidson and Karun Chandok and so the times he commentated with those two was quite fun. By all accounts Brundle and Crofty have hit it off and when they rehearsed (using Oz GP 11) they worked so well they both decided a second rehearsal was not required.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:47 am 

So is Crofty's Phrase going to be "Lets Play Racing!" ???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:09 am 

JonA wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:

I'm sorry but you're talking out of your proverbial.

Crofty has extensive TV motor sports commentary experience. He commentated on GP2 for ITV in 2007 and 2008. He also has commentated on the Race of Champions and the Goodwood Festival of Speed and the Goodwood Revival for Sky. As someone has also pointed out he's been commentating on F1 via the red button since 2009 for all sessions - prior to 2009 he has been covering F1 since 2005 for 5Live. He's also done world feed commentary on GT Racing via their web channel (which later was shown on Sky).

He also knows motor sport in general and F1 particular and he knows it well. Why else has FOM been employing him as the official post qualy/race interviews? He's passionate, he's exuberant and he's characterful and one of the only negatives I have about him going to Sky is the fact he will no longer be hosting the brilliant pre and post race Chequered Flag podcasts (although I have high hopes the James Allen will be a decent replacement based on his own recently launched podcast).

I put Crofty firmly on par with Ben Edwards as the best motor sports commentator working currently in the UK and I am someone who doesn't just follow F1 but most motor sport and I have experienced many commentators from Raymond Baxter (who was the best ever) through to Simon Taylor via Murray Walker, James Allen, Martin Haven, Jeremy Shaw, James Hindhaulgh, Toby Moody, Charlie Cox and the numerous others.

Sorry but I am going to get on my soapbox here:

Why do some people dismiss commentators and TV based journalists seemingly based purely on their lack of knowledge or experience of the particular commentator/journalist's previous work? That's just ridiculously presumptive and ignorant. Instead of assuming they'd be rubbish why don't you wait wait and see. If you have knowledge of Crofty's previous TV specific commentary then fair enough but you're comments heavily imply that you have no such experience of Crofty's previous work. It seems the effect of Legard continues to influence people's opinion of anyone they deem to be "new" to F1 commentary. Oh and yes, I know Legard had previous experience of commentating on F1 before getting the TV gig in 2009 - he was Crofty's predecessor at Five Live and was generally disliked their.

I also am disgusted that there's also been people dismissing Natalie Pinkham and Georgie Thompson's commitment and knowledge of the sport because they are "hawt chixs". Seriously - are people saying that only unattractive women can be F1 fans? Because that's bull.

Sorry - ranters got to rant just as much as haters have got to hate.

Calm down, you've clearly (in some spengy brain fart moment) misinterpreted "don't get too carried away" with "hate"; everybody called for the resignation of James Allen and we ended up with Legard, yet everyone was, before he'd even commentated a single word, confident it'd be great.

EDIT: Also, tell us the truth... Are you actually David Croft?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:12 am 

"Spongy brain fart moment"
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:25 am 

Hi everyone I'm new here :nod:

I think it's probably true that Martin Brundle doesn't play well with others! He really got on well with Murray Walker, but lesser commentators than Murray have seemed to have a hard time. Perhaps commentating with Legard made Brundle realise that James Allen was alright.

Having said that I think Brundle and Croft will get on well. His voice is less persistent than James Allen and less annoying than Jonathan Legard's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 am 

I hope there is still some good banter even though no DC with him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:36 am 

Tim!! wrote:

Davidson's in the commentary box with them, isn't he? So if there's not much chemistry between Brundle and Croft, there should be between Brundle and Davidson.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:43 am 

sgt.hartman wrote:
Tim!! wrote:

Davidson's in the commentary box with them, isn't he? So if there's not much chemistry between Brundle and Croft, there should be between Brundle and Davidson.

No it will be Davidson and Crofty for practice sessions and Brundle and Crofty for qualli and race so Brundle and Davidson wont b in comm box at the same time

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:50 am 

I thought he was excellent as lead commentator last year but his true talents lay in his co-commentator position where he has time to analyse the action more and make more observations.

David Croft is the commentator who should have been with Brundle since day one of the BBC coverage.

He is truly excellent.

For me, they're both up there with Barry Davis, John Motson and John Virgo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:04 pm 

ozzykel wrote:
He's preety close to perfect in my view. Insightful and entertaining, with a great sense of humour. A real wordsmith, but doesn't try too hard.

What I am worried about is the form of his colleague. I know nothing of him, but I would hate another legard-esque commentator in the box alongside Martin. It's a real shame they couldn't have brough David Couthard over too.

IMHO, some of the best commentator teams have been pairings that do not see eye to eye on everything and who perhaps have quite different styles ... MB and DC were a good pairing, but not great ... they were too similar ... too cliquey ... and seemed to hold similar views on everything ... even down to their driver preference which they struggled to hide during heated moments of circuit action.

I just think Martin now needs to approach commentating just as he did before his time with DC, and fill out the "pundit" role during commentary, as this is where his experience lies.

Did anyone else think Martin looked a bit out of sorts during the F1 Show? I dunno ... perhaps he felt awkward being the "expert" with someone arguably better at racing sitting next to him. if so, he shouldnt feel that way. Martin's strength has always been talking the talk, and not necessarily walking the walk ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:28 pm 

Brundle is brilliant on the pit walk. Long may he continue. A big loss for the BBC, but a great gain for Sky.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:40 pm 

Bosse wrote:
Brundle is awesome. As an ex driver he knows a lot of stuff from the drivers point of view. I also like his sense of humour.

Imo DC and Brundle combo was really good. Sad to see it only lasted a year.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:05 pm 

Boo..... he should learn something from Steve Slater. :-P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:08 pm 

But who could do a better job really other than Martian Brundle? Really?

He has got it all as a commentator really.

An ex F1 driver, hes well liked still by current drivers and teams plus he makes the the F1 interesting but not too boring imo.