planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:51 pm 

Been watching these are the days on SkySportsF1 with Murray, Damon and Nigel. Mansell suggested that Prost and Senna were both going to sign for Williams in 1991 but it fell through. Has anyone else heard that before? Also Nigel says he won the 1992 championship with a broken foot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:56 pm 

I've heard something along the lines of Prost having a clause in his contract that prevented Senna from being his teammate, not sure which season it was though.

And I'm watching it too :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:17 pm 

That was for the 1993 season. He didn't have the clause for 1994 and Williams wanted Senna. Prost decided to retire rather than have Senna as a teammate again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
I've heard something along the lines of Prost having a clause in his contract that prevented Senna from being his teammate, not sure which season it was though.

I'm enjoying the channel, what do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:22 pm 

I might be wrong, but to me it seems as if Prost was being a big baby. I know some team mates don't work well together (Hamilton and Alonso for instance), but that doesn't mean that he should have to have a clause in his contract that means they can't work together. I mean, they have such amazing opportunities for even a drive in a Toleman, and they're moaning because they've not got the teammate that they wanted.. Just seems a little silly that's all :L

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:24 pm 

Yeah, In '92 Mansell won the WDC then fell out with Williams,
the Prost contract at Williams caused Mansell to leave and go to Indycars, which he won first time.
Nigel is still the only driver to hold the F1 WDC and be Indy champ at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:33 pm 

pmiller111283 wrote:
Been watching these are the days on SkySportsF1 with Murray, Damon and Nigel. Mansell suggested that Prost and Senna were both going to sign for Williams in 1991 but it fell through. Has anyone else heard that before? Also Nigel says he won the 1992 championship with a broken foot.

Yes, Williams wanted a big name for the 91 season and was looking at Prost and Senna but Mrs Williams had a soft spot for Nig and along with a family friend managed to persuade Head to persuade Frank that they should take on Nig again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:34 pm 

pmiller111283 wrote:
RunningMan wrote:

I'm impressed. They have put alot of time and effort into making these features :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:51 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
pmiller111283 wrote:
RunningMan wrote:

I'm impressed. They have put alot of time and effort into making these features :thumbup:

I only put it on this evening again, had the sports channels on and off since I got Virgin. Looking forward to the Indycars this year too. I'm liking the season reviews, I hope they can get cobble together footage from the 50s, 60s and 70s too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:29 pm 

Gintynm wrote:
I might be wrong, but to me it seems as if Prost was being a big baby. I know some team mates don't work well together (Hamilton and Alonso for instance), but that doesn't mean that he should have to have a clause in his contract that means they can't work together. I mean, they have such amazing opportunities for even a drive in a Toleman, and they're moaning because they've not got the teammate that they wanted.. Just seems a little silly that's all :L

Prost is surely not a frightened crying baby, as he was on the level with Senna, and some times even better than him. He has beaten Senna in both years they had in Mclaren ('88 and '89), but Senna got the championship in 1988 because of some rule about how the points are counted - else Prost had more points than Senna. Senna did not kept the word and overtook Prost in the first lap of the San Marino GP in 1988 and I think it was the end of possibilities to have more close relationship during Mclaren years and beyond. So, he had more reasons for not wanting Senna as a teammate. Besides that, Prost was at the end of career in 1993 and wanted to finish in style, as he did.

While I still mourn for Senna, and admire his character in general, I am still happy we have professor Prost with us, a true legend of motorsport. Although by the nature of events, and loss of Senna's life, he get's more admiration, IMHO Prost and Senna were equal, and there will be no point in discussing who was better of them two.

Two legends.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:46 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Gintynm wrote:

Prost is surely not a frightened crying baby, as he was on the level with Senna, and some times even better than him. He has beaten Senna in both years they had in Mclaren ('88 and '89), but Senna got the championship in 1988 because of some rule about how the points are counted - else Prost had more points than Senna. Senna did not kept the word and overtook Prost in the first lap of the San Marino GP in 1988 and I think it was the end of possibilities to have more close relationship during Mclaren years and beyond. So, he had more reasons for not wanting Senna as a teammate. Besides that, Prost was at the end of career in 1993 and wanted to finish in style, as he did.

While I still mourn for Senna, and admire his character in general, I am still happy we have professor Prost with us, a true legend of motorsport. Although by the nature of events, and loss of Senna's life, he get's more admiration, IMHO Prost and Senna were equal, and there will be no point in discussing who was better of them two.

Two legends.

Very true. Prost did retire knowing Senna was coming to Williams and he was not happy. He came out of retirement to drive with Williams and definitely had a clause in his contract that Senna would not be his teammate in 1993. In 1994 that did not apply hence he went.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:49 pm 

Gintynm wrote:

I would find it very hard to work with someone that did what Senna did to Prost to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:17 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Gintynm wrote:

I would find it very hard to work with someone that did what Senna did to Prost to me.

:thumbup:

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:53 pm 

There was a rumour that Prost was going back to McLaren because the Peugeot deal, Williams announced that Prost was still under contract and therefore Alain announced his retirement. Also for the 1993 season Williams wanted Mika Hakkinen but Alain Prost said ti Frank sign Damon Hill.... I know that for a fact.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:37 pm 

paulsf1fix wrote:
There was a rumour that Prost was going back to McLaren because the Peugeot deal, Williams announced that Prost was still under contract and therefore Alain announced his retirement. Also for the 1993 season Williams wanted Mika Hakkinen but Alain Prost said ti Frank sign Damon Hill.... I know that for a fact.

How do you know about the Hakkinen/Hill thing?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:40 pm 

I never heard about that too

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 pm 

I'm guessing that Japan 1990 had something to do with the 1991 deal falling through? In the Senna movie, there is a clip of Prost saying he was disgusted with Senna after that and wanted to punch him in the face immediately after the crash.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:43 pm 

RunningMan wrote:

Watch the film, was in it ;)

Prost did not want to be team mates with Senna, dont blame him though. Kind of reminds me of Alonso not wanting to be team mates with Lewis regardless what he says.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:56 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
paulsf1fix wrote:

How do you know about the Hakkinen/Hill thing?

Never heard that before. I always thought it was a logic choice for them to sign Damon as he was their test driver.

Hill testing the FW14 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqdTCsGHGzY

2013 follower of :

Fernando Alonso

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:18 pm 

I don't know what part of the documentry it's on but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUjGgFApZ0

Its a good watch, Frank Williams is discussing with Prost about Hakkinen and Hill... I have vague idea that they talk to each other in French and it has English subtitles...