planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Seb's secret to win :D
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:04 pm 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... ed-bull-f1

His secret is... "passion" and... "beer!" :P He didn't have his mates to go and have a pint before raceday... damn! This year, you could fix that Vettel. Just leave Lewis behind, he's got enough trouble already with running into other cars.

Well, even if you don't like the man, you have to admit as much that he's a true bloke...

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:16 pm 

I like him, just can't support him :lol:
Cheers for the linky, good article.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:08 pm 
What I take from that article is the mention of "extreme professionalism". It was displayed last year, and the results support that Vettel invests 100% of his time and effort towards a successful year. When his rear tire deflated at Yas Marina, he just didn't jump into his jet and leave (like some drivers do) but instead remain in the pits and do whatever it took to improve.

I see it in many very successful professional racers, where they devote 100% of themselves during the racing season, leaving personal and social matters far behind in priorities. Sometimes even marriages fail because of that, but that was a conscious decision by the driver, to place his career over his marriage. If anyone wishes to do better than Vettel, they have to get up earlier in the morning to go training, and be the first one to arrive at the shop or track, and the last to leave. You have to study all relevant telemetry and data harder, and just focus completley only at the job at hand.

Whenever a professional race driver shows up, he is expected to bring his "A" game to the race, to each lap, to each corner.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:44 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
What I take from that article is the mention of "extreme professionalism". It was displayed last year, and the results support that Vettel invests 100% of his time and effort towards a successful year. When his rear tire deflated at Yas Marina, he just didn't jump into his jet and leave (like some drivers do) but instead remain in the pits and do whatever it took to improve.

I see it in many very successful professional racers, where they devote 100% of themselves during the racing season, leaving personal and social matters far behind in priorities. Sometimes even marriages fail because of that, but that was a conscious decision by the driver, to place his career over his marriage. If anyone wishes to do better than Vettel, they have to get up earlier in the morning to go training, and be the first one to arrive at the shop or track, and the last to leave. You have to study all relevant telemetry and data harder, and just focus completley only at the job at hand.

Whenever a professional race driver shows up, he is expected to bring his "A" game to the race, to each lap, to each corner.

Very good impressions and I agree with everything that has been said here. One of Vettel's strengths is his maturity and professionalism starting at a very young age. He always tries to give his best and if his efforts do not come off despite that, he does not indulge in silly statements and waste time in prima donna acts. He tries to find out what went wrong and what can be done better the next time.

Perhaps that is why many former drivers are begining to think so highly of him even at this early stage in his career.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:34 pm 

floydhead wrote:
I like him, just can't support him :lol:
Cheers for the linky, good article.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:20 pm 
You can love him or hate him. You can think he's the best thing since sliced bread or just a kid lucky enough to be in an awesome car. Those things will be debated endlessly. But I believe that anyone that has observed him for an appreciable time can recognize his work ethic and dedication to his craft.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:57 pm 

Well... he takes after his idol when it comes to work ethic. As you said he understands there are no shortcuts to success in motor racing, apart from a few lucky ones and you can't count on luck alone, or a lot of drivers would have won more than 1 title. Vettel is hardworking, methodical and humble, a potent mix of qualities which should take him far.

On the other hand i do agree totally with what he says about having a pint. Media and world at large would be just too damned critical. Unless you're running around town drunk and crashing cars/ getting into bar-fights, i think you should be ok, but that's just me. Who or what racing drivers are doing in their free time should not be concerning us, until it has an effect on racing. However, Vettel is very right in asking about who draws the line.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:02 pm 

Best statement I've heard in a long while. Pity that the media is overlooking the sport just to feed us with a truckload of scoops about who's tangled with who, what alcohol every driver drinks and so on and so forth...booooo! boooooo! we want the old, clean news back!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:26 pm 

Great article - I really like Vettel and whilst Raikkonen won't be winning races this season (or maybe he'll win one or two; that Lotus can't be any worse than the F60 was when he got the win and podiums), I'll be supporting him to win. But we're yet to fully see the Sebastian Vettel when he's properly pushed and things aren't going his way; there's potential there for him to be quite a different character.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:14 pm 

sgt.hartman wrote:
But we're yet to fully see the Sebastian Vettel when he's properly pushed and things aren't going his way; there's potential there for him to be quite a different character.

In a sense he was in 2010. After all those early misfortunes - some his own fault - he had just started to come back as they went into the Korean Grand prix. There, with a good lead on his way to victory, the RB6's engine blew-up. Almost everyone had written off his chances for the WDC at that time. The way he calmly accepted that setback and held his nerve to win in Brazil & Abu Dhabi showed his mental strength. It takes a bit more than silly presumptions like "the guy in the fastest car" to achieve that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:28 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:
But we're yet to fully see the Sebastian Vettel when he's properly pushed and things aren't going his way; there's potential there for him to be quite a different character.

In a sense he was in 2010. After all those early misfortunes - some his own fault - he had just started to come back as they went into the Korean Grand prix. There, with a good lead on his way to victory, the RB6's engine blew-up. Almost everyone had written off his chances for the WDC at that time. The way he calmly accepted that setback and held his nerve to win in Brazil & Abu Dhabi showed his mental strength. It takes a bit more than silly presumptions like "the guy in the fastest car" to achieve that.

But he's been very rarely pushed *by other drivers*; 2010 only came down to the last race because of reliability, not because anyone was *truly* troubling him in speed, and he's not been out driven and out qualified by another driver as much as Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen etc have been, having to really rely on their ability, strategy and luck to win them races. I'm not saying he's not great, but to say a championship coming down to the wire because of reliability is the same as being pushed hard by other drivers, isn't really accurate; he knew he could jump into the car and, so long as it held together, he'd win.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 pm 

sgt.hartman wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:

But he's been very rarely pushed *by other drivers*; 2010 only came down to the last race because of reliability, not because anyone was *truly* troubling him in speed, and he's not been out driven and out qualified by another driver as much as Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen etc have been, having to really rely on their ability, strategy and luck to win them races. I'm not saying he's not great, but to say a championship coming down to the wire because of reliability is the same as being pushed hard by other drivers, isn't really accurate; he knew he could jump into the car and, so long as it held together, he'd win.

Vettel never had to rely on his ability, strategy and luck to win a race? what? Nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:16 pm 

bourbon19 wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:

Vettel never had to rely on his ability, strategy and luck to win a race? what? Nonsense.

I did not say that. I'm talking in relation to other drivers who have had to most certainly fight tooth and nail to win races, and my original point was about his character when this happens and whether we'll see another side to Vettel that we haven't already seen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:15 pm 
sgt.hartman wrote:
I did not say that. I'm talking in relation to other drivers who have had to most certainly fight tooth and nail to win races, and my original point was about his character when this happens and whether we'll see another side to Vettel that we haven't already seen.

I'm having trouble understanding this. When Vettel broke into Formula One it was in a Sauber at the USGP. He qualified very well, getting into Q3. He did make an error, but finished 8th. From that beginning he was obviously quick, but made more than his share of rookie errors. He then continued on at STR, battling in the middle of the pack all the while. And in 2009 when Button ran off at the start of the season, he just kept at it, and in the end, finished the season well in 2nd place.

So he's had to battle mid-pack, he's had troubling times, and Vettel learns from his mistakes and comes back stronger. In 2009 when all indications that the RB6 was the car to beat, Brawn show up with their double diffuser and establish superiority. He had to try harder, it suddenly became much harder. He faced adversity straight in the face and in the end he came out of it much stronger. I've seen many fans staunchly defend their favorite driver's mistakes under the same circumstances with such comments as "he had to try harder, that's why he crashed out so often".

I watched the 2011 Japanese GP. Vettel was not sitting pretty, requiring a decent finish to secure the WDC. What did he do? Did he assume the fetal position and hope for his mommy to come along and tell him it was OK, or did he take the battle to his opponents? He qualified on pole, and defended his position at the start in a very determined manner. Button went on to win, and Vettel collected enough points to lock up the 2011 WDC. There was inhuman pressure, yet he did not crack.

So as far as I'm concerned, Vettel has faced and defeated the circumstances that some fans stipulate as requirements to be accepted as worth of respect. Has he faced adversity, has he been up against a formidable opponents? Yes to both, and he has come back stronger each time. Has he been in a pressure situation and come out looking good? Definitely, he went into the last race of 2010 3rd in points, and won the race to capture the WDC. There were four drivers that went into that race with a chance to win the title, and Vettel emerged as the winner.

And even if the car he jumped into was the best car that day, qualifying on pole and winning is not easy. I strongly disagree when it's assumed that winning is easy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:46 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:

I'm having trouble understanding this. When Vettel broke into Formula One it was in a Sauber at the USGP. He qualified very well, getting into Q3. He did make an error, but finished 8th. From that beginning he was obviously quick, but made more than his share of rookie errors. He then continued on at STR, battling in the middle of the pack all the while. And in 2009 when Button ran off at the start of the season, he just kept at it, and in the end, finished the season well in 2nd place.

So he's had to battle mid-pack, he's had troubling times, and Vettel learns from his mistakes and comes back stronger. In 2009 when all indications that the RB6 was the car to beat, Brawn show up with their double diffuser and establish superiority. He had to try harder, it suddenly became much harder. He faced adversity straight in the face and in the end he came out of it much stronger. I've seen many fans staunchly defend their favorite driver's mistakes under the same circumstances with such comments as "he had to try harder, that's why he crashed out so often".

I watched the 2011 Japanese GP. Vettel was not sitting pretty, requiring a decent finish to secure the WDC. What did he do? Did he assume the fetal position and hope for his mommy to come along and tell him it was OK, or did he take the battle to his opponents? He qualified on pole, and defended his position at the start in a very determined manner. Button went on to win, and Vettel collected enough points to lock up the 2011 WDC. There was inhuman pressure, yet he did not crack.

So as far as I'm concerned, Vettel has faced and defeated the circumstances that some fans stipulate as requirements to be accepted as worth of respect. Has he faced adversity, has he been up against a formidable opponents? Yes to both, and he has come back stronger each time. Has he been in a pressure situation and come out looking good? Definitely, he went into the last race of 2010 3rd in points, and won the race to capture the WDC. There were four drivers that went into that race with a chance to win the title, and Vettel emerged as the winner.

And even if the car he jumped into was the best car that day, qualifying on pole and winning is not easy. I strongly disagree when it's assumed that winning is easy.

If you had referenced the 2010 season where Webber ran him fairly close (in qualifying and on race day), I'd have taken note, but you reference seasons where he easily beat his teammates. It wasn't immediately clear in 2009 that the RB5 was the car to beat; BMW, Toyota and Williams both had double diffusers and were just as quick as the RB5 at the beginning of the season, they weren't clear fastest until around the mid point of the season when Brawn's development rate failed them and its sensitivity to track conditions began to show and even then he was up against Webber, and easily beat him.

Also, you're quoting his early F1 career like I'm saying he's no good - I've never said that; he's a fantastic driver. What I'm saying is that he's not been put to the test like Alonso vs Hamilton in 2007, Hamilton vs Button 2010 & 2011, Raikkonen vs Schumacher 2003 etc etc. No one has run him close, taking wins from him out of raw pace and out driving him season long; there was a brief stint in the mid part of 2010 when Webber was taking it to him, but that didn't last too long and to be fair to him, he didn't implode (publicly) over the reliability issues.

I'm not saying he *will* turn into a douche bag as soon as he goes up against a driver(s) that beats him in roughly equal material, I'm just saying we've not seen that (him be run close) happen yet and there's potential (for him to be quite a different character - remember Hungary and Monza 2010 when he a drive through and engine issue, respectively - he got very angry over the radio and immediately after the race).

Finally - referencing Japan 2011 as an example of him being under pressure? Please - that championship was his that race or the next (and he could have taken it in Singapore); he was under *no* pressure - he just turned up, drove in a circle 53 times and took his second title.