planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Should Alonso go?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:52 pm 

I'm quite a fan of Alonso, but over the past few years McLaren have been no where at all. Fighting for a mid-field positions is not in Fernando's character. You can hear his frustration over the radio during each grand prix race.

With next year's drivers line up in Indy cars, should Fernando jump ship and leave F1. ? I beleive they are knocking on his door at the moment.

Personally I think he should!.......

McLaren will take several years to become a top team and no-one wants Alonso, specially Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull.....

Renault maybe could offer Alonso a chance, but again see them as a mid-field team...

Sad but true. Alonso has made some bad career calls over the years. Leaving Ferrari and failing to sign for Red Bull when they were a hot team. There is new fresh blood and Alonso is at the age now, where he should leave and make success else where.. He still has lots to prove in his life and will get nothing in F1.

Post subject: Re: Should Alonso go?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:51 pm 

Yes.

(As a McLaren fan and an Alonso fan)

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:08 am 

Alonso seems little unhappy but still I think he has behaved well for Mclaren inspite of their poor performance. With Ferrari, Honda he is used to be more negative. I think Mclaren did well last race to help Vandoorne sort his problems. His career is on the line. Also I do not think Mclaren are going to strong next year. I wonder how Alonso and Mclaren will feel with RBR and Honda partnership turns out good

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:24 am 
Noni wrote:
I'm quite a fan of Alonso, but over the past few years McLaren have been no where at all. Fighting for a mid-field positions is not in Fernando's character. You can hear his frustration over the radio during each grand prix race.

With next year's drivers line up in Indy cars, should Fernando jump ship and leave F1. ? I beleive they are knocking on his door at the moment.

Personally I think he should!.......

I agree with you. Alonso is widely recognized as one of the best drivers ever, but with the current two-tier championship (Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull vs. the rest) his chance of winning even a single race without getting a seat in one of those three teams is zero. And that is not going to happen. So unless he doesn't care about results and only races because he likes being in a F1 car, it's hard to see any reason for him to continue racing for Best of the rest title for yet another year.

Personally I would prefer to see him return to glory by copying Mansells achievement and winning the Indy Car championship instead of watching him fighting drivers like Ericsson, Stroll and Hartley for the last point giving position every race.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:21 am 

Yes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:34 am 

Yes. Alonso just goes in circles, he has no hope of podium finish, let alone a victory. His reputation is still good, so he shall say goodbye and leave F1.
It would be also good for Mclaren , as they are centered around, him to find a new focus.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:48 am 

Breaking News:.... Daniel Ricciardo to leave Red Bull. Could this leave the opportunity for Alonso??????

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:49 am 

Noni wrote:
Breaking News:.... Daniel Ricciardo to leave Red Bull. Could this leave the opportunity for Alonso??????

Back to Honda? :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:05 pm 

Noni wrote:

I bet Bernie would have made it happen...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:14 pm 

Noni wrote:

Unfortunately no, it will not be an opportunity for Alonso. Unless Hamilton or Vettel suddenly retire, Alonso won't have an opportunity with a top team any time soon. Red Bul will go with a young driver and build around Max.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:07 pm 

Noni wrote:

Probably not with a Honda badge on the car.

I think he'll take a "sabbatical" that'll end probably up being a full on retirement.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:28 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Noni wrote:

Unfortunately no, it will not be an opportunity for Alonso. Unless Hamilton or Vettel suddenly retire, Alonso won't have an opportunity with a top team any time soon. Red Bul will go with a young driver and build around Max.

If I were him I would be flogging Horners phone right now and I would be offering a major discount. The only thing I would ensure is that I get equal status with Max. This is his last shot of getting a top seat. So even though it’s highly unlikely he should definitely try.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:39 pm 

It would be too bad that WEC moved their Fuji race to accommodate Alonso if he doesn't race in F1 next season. They're screwing over a lot of very good drivers who race in both WEC and IMSA, and IMSA teams with that move.

WEC should've stuck to their guns and either Alonso would have to miss the USGP or miss Fuji. He's not going to win the WDC this year so he should've skipped COTA and let McLaren run somebody who might be in the team next year in his place.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:43 pm 

kleefton wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Noni wrote:

If I were him I would be flogging Horners phone right now and I would be offering a major discount. The only thing I would ensure is that I get equal status with Max. This is his last shot of getting a top seat. So even though it’s highly unlikely he should definitely try.

Would Alonso want to take that risk, Verstappen maybe faster than him?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:07 pm 

pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Noni wrote:

Alonso does not like people being faster than him in the same car. If necessary they will be radioed "Fernando is faster than you" and things will get fixed. But, he won't get such treatment in RBR. So I don't see such development that he will move to RBR. Unless Verstappen suddenly goes to Sauber or Force India. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:25 pm 

pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Noni wrote:

Obviously. Why practically beg to go face Lewis or Seb but not Max? It's a lot easier to beat them in the same car than one 2 seconds a lap slower isn't it.

Problem is he's a Toyota driver until next summer and Honda wounds are fresh (on both sides I'm sure) so it's never happening.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:32 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Yes. Alonso just goes in circles, he has no hope of podium finish, let alone a victory. His reputation is still good, so he shall say goodbye and leave F1.
It would be also good for Mclaren , as they are centered around, him to find a new focus.

I agree. It's now too late for Alonso to succeed at Mclaren and no top team wants him. If he wants the triple crown he has to commit to Indycar now because it's likely it will take a number of attempts to do it. As for Mclaren, they've allowed him to have way too much influence on them and I can't see them succeeding with him there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:07 pm 

Noni wrote:

IMO Renault was Alonso last chance to be in F1. He may still be with Mclaren next year but Renault have better chance to best of the rest. So I am not sure he will be in podium again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:23 pm 

Alonso should go to Redbull.

We'd have verstappen versus Alonso. He would be in a leading team. Red bull would have 2 of the strongest drivers around. He is a proven winner and i think instead of redbull relying on their young drivers programme they should for once try an older master to see what impact he could have.

The fact that redbull havent won championships for a few years or really been in contention i feel appointing a Alonso would give them a great marketing boost as well as a fan boost in spain.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:46 pm 

stevey wrote:
Alonso should go to Redbull.

We'd have verstappen versus Alonso. He would be in a leading team. Red bull would have 2 of the strongest drivers around. He is a proven winner and i think instead of redbull relying on their young drivers programme they should for once try an older master to see what impact he could have.

The fact that redbull havent won championships for a few years or really been in contention i feel appointing a Alonso would give them a great marketing boost as well as a fan boost in spain.

You think Toyota would be ok with him driving for Honda and vice versa?

He's not going to quit his WEC contract, lose the WEC World Championship just to race Max for 5th/6th on the grid,assuming Renault don't surprise and take those spots for themselves.

As much fun as it would be for us there's not much in it for Alonso, never mind Red Bull's,Max's and Honda's own feelings on it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:00 pm 

He´s still a top driver so I´d be sad to see such a talent wasted. That said he´s made his bed and now has to lie in it. If not for another burnt bridge in Honda, Red Bull might even have considered him. Especially if he really did just want a last chance of competing for the championship and driven next to nothing at all. He may be carrying a lot of baggage but that´s an offer probably only Ferrari and Mercedes would refuse.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Noni wrote:

Alonso does not like people being faster than him in the same car. If necessary they will be radioed "Fernando is faster than you" and things will get fixed. But, he won't get such treatment in RBR. So I don't see such development that he will move to RBR. Unless Verstappen suddenly goes to Sauber or Force India. :lol:

Sigh. While there can be many different opinions on Ferrari's strategies and orders that Hockenheim day, one thing really is obvious: Alonso was faster than Massa - this day and in general.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:33 am 

I think he should.

There's nowhere really left for him in F1 that is worthy of his talent.

Red Bull won't sign an expensive, older driver.

Staying at McLaren is more of the same - midfield, no real chance of winning or even fighting for podiums.

It's a waste.

He's won 2 titles in F1 and cemented a reputation as being one of the world's best drivers. He doesn't need to do anything more in F1.

I think he should do IndyCar and chase the triple crown, there's some good potential for him to win that title too.

He can have a bit of fun and try winning some (more) of the world's biggest races while he's still at the peak of his game.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:04 am 

He's used his bridges in F1
Come to indy car or help raise sports car racing to where it should be.
If they would race LMP types on classic courses with out a lot of regs
I'd take that over F1.
Audi,Porsche,Astin,Ferrari,Toyota,BMW etc... in open big $$$$ combat
with real tech advancements.
Let's see who can build the fastest race cars not the cheapest.
They got money let them spend it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:33 am 

I am not going to give my answer, just some questions.

What can he gain if he stays?
Who can he drive for, are they likely to win, races, championships.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:30 pm 

Alonso is arguably the best on the grid, but is 37yrs old and has no likely options that will get him winning. He will be pushing 40 before opportunity opens up and by then will surely be a driver in decline.

It's hard to see whats in it for him remaining in F1. He is far too good for the hand he has held for the last 3yrs, and I cannot see how that hand can significantly improve.

Last edited by Badgeronimous on Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:33 pm 

Badgeronimous wrote:
Alonso is arguably the best on the grid, but is 37yrs old and has no likely options that will get him winning. He will be pushing 40 before opportunity opens up and will be a driver in decline.

It's hard to see whats in it for him.

Depends if he enjoys being an F1 driver or not. His days of winning are probably gone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:47 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Noni wrote:

I think there is absolutely no chance Alonso will ever warm a Mercedes or Ferrari seat... or a Red Bull for that matter.

Alonso should go. He wouldn't be the first to screw-up his own career...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:01 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Badgeronimous wrote:
Alonso is arguably the best on the grid, but is 37yrs old and has no likely options that will get him winning. He will be pushing 40 before opportunity opens up and will be a driver in decline.

It's hard to see whats in it for him.

Depends if he enjoys being an F1 driver or not. His days of winning are probably gone.

If he is just in it to drive, that is fine, but he has to make a whole different set of choices then.
An Ideal opportunity is to 'buy into' Williams or Alfa/Sauber(more likely) and drive as a manager.
I dont think he can drive and manage at the same time, trying to think who attempted it?
Prost? Steward? Gurney? (but things were different then) and I do not think any worked out
Better going the LM route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:01 pm 

i wonder how alonso will handle the level of fan access to the team and drivers over a full season in indy car ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:15 pm 

While I’m not a huge fan of Alonso’s off-track team politics machinations. I think he’d thrive in the public access in Indy racing. Witness his interaction with the crowd in Canada went his engine went poof, again, last year or the year before.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:13 am 

Badgeronimous wrote:
Alonso is arguably the best on the grid, but is 37yrs old and has no likely options that will get him winning. He will be pushing 40 before opportunity opens up and by then will surely be a driver in decline.

It's hard to see whats in it for him remaining in F1. He is far too good for the hand he has held for the last 3yrs, and I cannot see how that hand can significantly improve.

I disagree on Alonso being in decline at age 40. The one thing we can all agree on is that he has maintained and improved year after year and hasn’t lost one bit of his supreme ability. 2.5 years won’t do a thing to change that one iota and I see Alonso as a bit of a throwback to guys like Mario Andretti who continued to race exceedingly well far past what’s considered to be the age of decline and I can see him being among the best for as long as he chooses to drive. Having said that, I can see that in Vettel and Hamilton and perhaps even Ricciardo, unless they lose interest, with Hamilton likely being the one of them all who’d likely be the first to explore other options outside racing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:16 am 

Badgeronimous wrote:

I disagree on Alonso being in decline at age 40. The one thing we can all agree on is that he has maintained and improved year after year and hasn’t lost one bit of his supreme ability. 2.5 years won’t do a thing to change that one iota and I see Alonso as a bit of a throwback to guys like Mario Andretti who continued to race exceedingly well far past what’s considered to be the age of decline and I can see him being among the best for as long as he chooses to drive. Having said that, I can see that in Vettel and Hamilton and perhaps even Ricciardo, unless they lose interest, with Hamilton likely being the one of them all who’d likely be the first to explore other options outside racing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:16 am 

Alonso should not go. He is one of the greatest car developer & driver in the F1-business - on par with Alain Prost and Michael Schumacher. If he leaves the team or F1 2018, the next driver after him might get the winning package Fernando created. Sometimes it takes time, 2019 may be jackpot for McLaren.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:38 am 

I'd rather he didn't go, but I can imagine it must be soul destroying to be relegated driving around at the back when you know that you are at least as good as anybody in the prime seats. And it certainly looks like Alonso will never be considered for one of those seats again, unless any of those teams have a change in management.

I think Alonso only has himself to blame for the lack of interest from the top teams, but as a fan it's probably the saddest thing in F1 I can think of that we are deprived of watching one of the sports greatest talents battling at the front. My only hope is that McLaren come good, but I can't see signs of that, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:02 am 

Zoue wrote:
I'd rather he didn't go, but I can imagine it must be soul destroying to be relegated driving around at the back when you know that you are at least as good as anybody in the prime seats. And it certainly looks like Alonso will never be considered for one of those seats again, unless any of those teams have a change in management.

I think Alonso only has himself to blame for the lack of interest from the top teams, but as a fan it's probably the saddest thing in F1 I can think of that we are deprived of watching one of the sports greatest talents battling at the front. My only hope is that McLaren come good, but I can't see signs of that, unfortunately.

McLaren had made a statement that they will not be good for several years.. With major rule changes in 2021, could see McLaren back up the grid. :)

Unless Red Bull decide to give Alonso a seat, he should leave F1 for 2 seasons and move to America and achieve that triple crown. I think Hamilton will leave F1 in 2021, but that all depends on how he feels and if he still likes F1?....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 am 

Yes

Fernando, you had a great run but please go. Not for the fans, they still love to see you drive, but for yourself.

It is over for Alonso. The team will be better off without him and Vandoorne / Sainz would be good.

Who knows he is still that good? We think he is. We like to yhink he is but do we know?

Red Bull doesn't like Alonso's politics. No team does. Alonso is not bigger than the team but he often demands that he is. Combine that with a high salary, his age, tension in the team and you have your answer.

Kimi would be great for Red Bull, even with his age. Just because he is a different person than Alonso.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:28 pm 

If he is serious about the "Triple Crown," Alonso should leave F1 post 2018 and devote his time to Indy 500. There are 65% more competitors at the 2-1/2 mile Brickyard than a 20-car F1 grid on the same length F1 circuit... You can do everything perfectly and still be taken out in an accident (on a crowded track). Not to mention that 500 miles at Indianapolis is even MORE dependent on car performance and endurance than driver talent. Alonso's first attempt illustrates that quite well.

In short, it is NOT a lead pipe cinch that Alonso will win Indy 500 on the first try, or even the 5th, if ever. Some F1 luminaries have tried and never won the Indy 500.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:52 pm 

MB-BOB wrote:
If he is serious about the "Triple Crown," Alonso should leave F1 post 2018 and devote his time to Indy 500. There are 65% more competitors at the 2-1/2 mile Brickyard than a 20-car F1 grid on the same length F1 circuit... You can do everything perfectly and still be taken out in an accident (on a crowded track). Not to mention that 500 miles at Indianapolis is even MORE dependent on car performance and endurance than driver talent. Alonso's first attempt illustrates that quite well.

In short, it is NOT a lead pipe cinch that Alonso will win Indy 500 on the first try, or even the 5th, if ever. Some F1 luminaries have tried and never won the Indy 500.

Well he's no chance on the first try as he's already missed that one ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:13 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
Noni wrote:

This, RB will go for Gasly I feel. No way they'd invest in Alonso at this point in time