planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:31 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
I agree that he does need to prove himself in a title fight, but it's not like he's had an opportunity at a WDC before and blew it. He just hasn't been tested yet.

His raw speed is immense. Ricciardo is no slough, but Max has made him look second class whenever his car actually works, in both qualifying and in the race. His starts are usually very good, his racecraft is incredible, his tyre and race management is excellent, he's a master in the rain, and contrary to popular belief, he very rarely makes any mistakes.

I'm actually confident that he's already the best driver on the grid. I called it back in August and nobody agreed. Now a few months later, opinions are starting to swing. I'll bump this thread again in 2018 with a big "told you so". ;)

Master in the rain, which races has he won?

Rarely makes mistakes, that's because we categorise any damage to his car as just being unlucky?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:32 pm 

Fantaribo wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
I agree that he does need to prove himself in a title fight, but it's not like he's had an opportunity at a WDC before and blew it. He just hasn't been tested yet.

His raw speed is immense. Ricciardo is no slough, but Max has made him look second class whenever his car actually works, in both qualifying and in the race. His starts are usually very good, his racecraft is incredible, his tyre and race management is excellent, he's a master in the rain, and contrary to popular belief, he very rarely makes any mistakes.

I'm actually confident that he's already the best driver on the grid. I called it back in August and nobody agreed. Now a few months later, opinions are starting to swing. I'll bump this thread again in 2018 with a big "told you so". ;)

I was stunned by his driving last year in Brazil. Since then, I've been somewhat frustrated to read so many negative comments about his driving, somewhat unjustified in my opinion. If both Redbull and Renault keep progressing like they are actually doing, Verstappen's WDC title fight is just around the corner.

He spun in Brazil.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:35 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Fantaribo wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

I was stunned by his driving last year in Brazil. Since then, I've been somewhat frustrated to read so many negative comments about his driving, somewhat unjustified in my opinion. If both Redbull and Renault keep progressing like they are actually doing, Verstappen's WDC title fight is just around the corner.

He spun in Brazil.

And Schumacher went off in Hungary 1998 but people still remember it as one of his best drives.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:35 pm 

His racecraft is incredibly ... on the edge is the nicest way I can put it at the moment but it has got better from race to race .... and he's still kissing Vettel on the track. I'm not sure he has proven his dominance over Ricciardo yet either but it is nice to see deserving young talent coming through, after all Hamilton and Alonso can't race forever ;).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:40 pm 

pokerman wrote:

Do you actually watch F1 instead of just looking at the result?

Britain 2016 - the only driver that could live with the Mercedes and even overtook Rosberg in the wet
Brazil 2016 - overtook Rosberg and could live with Hamilton's pace before he spun, then an epic comeback drive.
China 2017 - 17th to 2nd in only a few laps in the wet

Quote:
Rarely makes mistakes, that's because we categorise any damage to his car as just being unlucky?

Apart from Hungary, what mistakes has he made this season? Unless of course you are somehow going to blame those car failures on him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:50 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Fantaribo wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

He spun in Brazil.

And Schumacher went off in Hungary 1998 but people still remember it as one of his best drives.

I'm guessing he won the race?

Verstappen spun off trying to keep up with Hamilton who went on to win the race, yet I have to read that Verstappen is the master in the wet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:04 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Do you actually watch F1 instead of just looking at the result?

Britain 2016 - the only driver that could live with the Mercedes and even overtook Rosberg in the wet
Brazil 2016 - overtook Rosberg and could live with Hamilton's pace before he spun, then an epic comeback drive.
China 2017 - 17th to 2nd in only a few laps in the wet

Quote:

Apart from Hungary, what mistakes has he made this season? Unless of course you are somehow going to blame those car failures on him.

Yes I watch F1 but not through the glasses you wear, first of all no matter the conditions you put Verstappen in the inferior car to the Mercedes but then again what's new which relates to Hamilton when he either wins or gets pole position.

In either Britain or Brazil he was hardly living with Hamilton, Brazil in particular the reason he spun was because he wasn't living with Hamilton once Hamilton upped the pace.

China I don't remember that well but then again who was the guy in first place?

Mistakes he made would be collisions with Ricciardo and Massa, plus going 3 wide into a fast chicane was a high risk pass that came unstuck, a few times he has made contact on the starts trying to pass cars, he's happy to make the contact it seems but when that doesn't work out for him then it's simply not unlucky, it's high risk driving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:22 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Yes I watch F1 but not through the glasses you wear, first of all no matter the conditions you put Verstappen in the inferior car to the Mercedes but then again what's new which relates to Hamilton when he either wins or gets pole position.

Ricciardo could not live with Rosberg's pace in either Britain or Brazil, so it is likely that Red Bull was inferior.

Quote:
In either Britain or Brazil he was hardly living with Hamilton, Brazil in particular the reason he spun was because he wasn't living with Hamilton once Hamilton upped the pace.

This is a screeshot of a few seconds before Verstappen spun:

The timing says that he was 1.700s behind Hamilton. How was he not living with Hamilton's place?

Quote:

Your defensive comments are embarrassing. I never once claimed that Verstappen is better than Hamilton in the rain, but you take it personally as if I did.

In China, Hamilton started on pole and stayed there. Verstappen charged his way from 17th to 2nd. Hamilton did nothing wrong that race, but Verstappen was more impressive in the wet.

Quote:
Mistakes he made would be collisions with Ricciardo and Massa,

:lol:

How on earth was that was his fault? He left more than enough room for Massa who decides to barge him off the circuit.

Was Austria 2016 Hamilton's fault?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:58 pm 

Verstappen is great in the wet. I don't see how anyone that has actually watched the races could dispute that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:40 am 

KingVoid wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Ricciardo could not live with Rosberg's pace in either Britain or Brazil, so it is likely that Red Bull was inferior.

Quote:

This is a screeshot of a few seconds before Verstappen spun:

The timing says that he was 1.700s behind Hamilton. How was he not living with Hamilton's place?

Quote:

Your defensive comments are embarrassing. I never once claimed that Verstappen is better than Hamilton in the rain, but you take it personally as if I did.

In China, Hamilton started on pole and stayed there. Verstappen charged his way from 17th to 2nd. Hamilton did nothing wrong that race, but Verstappen was more impressive in the wet.

Quote:
Mistakes he made would be collisions with Ricciardo and Massa,

:lol:

How on earth was that was his fault? He left more than enough room for Massa who decides to barge him off the circuit.

Was Austria 2016 Hamilton's fault?

No what you said was that Verstappen was the master in the wet, Verstappen was 1.7s behind before he spun, 2 laps previously he was only 1s behind having just posted a lap 4 tenths quicker than Hamilton, Hamilton then responded the next lap and went 5 tenths quicker to open the gap out again, he went quicker in 5 out of 6 laps before Verstappen spun.

You need to understand that Hamilton only goes as quick as he needs to go when leading in such conditions, Verstappen closed on 1 lap so Hamilton goes quicker the next lap, who was on the limit, who spun?

Regarding Ricciardo he has been beat in the wet by every teammate he has had, that being Vergne, Vettel and now Verstappen, he's nothing special in the wet.

Going on to the Massa incident I'm not referring to Verstappen being forced wide but Verstappen keeping his foot in going over the kerb and then hitting Massa on the exit, he's prepared to risk contact and putting his car at risk and then we blame Massa.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:41 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Verstappen is great in the wet. I don't see how anyone that has actually watched the races could dispute that.

Is he the master?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:53 am 

pokerman wrote:
No what you said was that Verstappen was the master in the wet, Verstappen was 1.7s behind before he spun, 2 laps previously he was only 1s behind having just posted a lap 4 tenths quicker than Hamilton, Hamilton then responded the next lap and went 5 tenths quicker to open the gap out again, he went quicker in 5 out of 6 laps before Verstappen spun.

Those are marginal differences at best. The gap between Verstappen and Hamilton was 1.0s on lap 34 and 1.7s on lap 38. Hamilton opened up a gap larger than 1.7 seconds to Vettel at Australia this year and we all know how that turned out. The point is that while Verstappen was only 1.7 seconds behind Hamilton, the gap to Rosberg was already up to 6 seconds. Yes, Verstappen was able to live with Hamilton's pace before he spun.

Quote:
Regarding Ricciardo he has been beat in the wet by every teammate he has had, that being Vergne, Vettel and now Verstappen, he's nothing special in the wet.

Rosberg was nothing special in the wet either, but he was still clearly quicker than Ricciardo. Yes, Mercedes was likely the better car.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:56 am 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Is he the master?

I said Max is a master, not the master. I never implied that Hamilton is not a master in the wet, nor did I ever even imply that Max is better in the rain.

Why are you so insecure about Hamilton's abilities that you feel the need to bring him up in a comment about Verstappen?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:10 am 
Site Admin

This is a driver official thread. This level of pedanticism wouldn't be tollerated in another driver's thread, and this back and forth over semantics isn't going anywhere. If you want to have a discussion over the relative rankings of different drivers abilities in the wet then please start a thread for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:11 am 

I love how everything was so calm and peaceful in here until someone said they thought Verstappen might be the best driver and the "Hamilton may have been slighted" alarm went off in pokerman's bedroom :lol: :twisted:

I think it's certainly possible but as long as Verstappen-Ricciardo-Vettel-Webber-Rosberg-Hamilton is the shortest link between Verstappen and Hamilton (or have I missed any?), there won't be even close to a universal opinion on the matter until they are teammates (which is probably never going to happen).

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:40 am 

The weirdest thing about Max's wins is that; not only do all of them come immediately following Kvyatt getting dropped from his team, they also all come when Perez qualifies 9th on the grid? :?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:49 am 

The plot thickens

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:24 am 

He is not to everybody's liking but I agree that next year will be very interesting to see of the car will perform from the start of the season.

And "Pokerman" , Hamilton is looking forward to it so why don't you too? No need to make a Max Verstappen topic about Hamilton all the time. It's getting pretty old by now.
Just enjoy every driver you like and let it be.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:38 pm 

Verstappen has been involved in 5 first lap collisions this season. Not every collision has been his fault, however to be involved in that many points to there being an issue with his driving.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:09 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
Verstappen has been involved in 5 first lap collisions this season. Not every collision has been his fault, however to be involved in that many points to there being an issue with his driving.

If you said that about Vettel there would be a plethora of posts! The point is though that whilst I agree MV has had too many prangs he is just starting out on his F1 career. If he continues next season then it may well be an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:20 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:

Or put another way Verstappen has been wholly responsible for one crash all season.

I don't believe he is doing anything unusual but if he is them surely with the situation he is in this season taking risks is right thing to be doing? He's not been in a position to win a lot of races purely on pace so if he just does the same as everyone else he will finish 3-6. It's probably not a bad thing to take a risk (not that I really believe that's what he's been doing. You're also being a bit harsh with "first lap collisions" Counting Mexico where his car barely touched Vettel for example.

He's stopped moving in braking zones and doing the counter block move in a straight he used to do so he is clearly a driver than can improve and adapt. I am sure if the first lap incidents are being caused by anything he is doing then he will sort it. Not much he will ever be able to do about being taken out like he was in Austria though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:59 pm 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5ZDNGcJdc

Interesting video i found showing how versteppen got it right in brazil

PF1 pick 3
2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:46 pm 

Good video, makes perfect sense but are we saying the remainder of the F1 field didn't know that? If you ride a motorbike in the rain everyone knows that. Don't they??

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:01 am 

Brazil 16 is a funny one. Sure, Verstappen made some nice overtakes but the guy at the front absolutely tiddled it in without any challenge whatsoever.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:05 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

Or put another way Verstappen has been wholly responsible for one crash all season.

I don't believe he is doing anything unusual but if he is them surely with the situation he is in this season taking risks is right thing to be doing? He's not been in a position to win a lot of races purely on pace so if he just does the same as everyone else he will finish 3-6. It's probably not a bad thing to take a risk (not that I really believe that's what he's been doing. You're also being a bit harsh with "first lap collisions" Counting Mexico where his car barely touched Vettel for example.

He's stopped moving in braking zones and doing the counter block move in a straight he used to do so he is clearly a driver than can improve and adapt. I am sure if the first lap incidents are being caused by anything he is doing then he will sort it. Not much he will ever be able to do about being taken out like he was in Austria though.

Verstappen got away with Mexico, he could easily have taken the puncture rather than Lewis.

Pulling a move like that is fine when you've got nothing to play for, but given Vettel needed to finish at least 2nd then you have to factor in that Vettel might not be for giving up the position easily and play the percentage game. Crowding the guy at the start is a risky move that on this occasion paid off but he needs to start boxing smarter before he becomes a serious title contender.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:35 am 

GingerFurball wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

Verstappen got away with Mexico, he could easily have taken the puncture rather than Lewis.

Pulling a move like that is fine when you've got nothing to play for, but given Vettel needed to finish at least 2nd then you have to factor in that Vettel might not be for giving up the position easily and play the percentage game. Crowding the guy at the start is a risky move that on this occasion paid off but he needs to start boxing smarter before he becomes a serious title contender.

Unless I'm misremembering it was Vettel crowding Verstappen on the outsude of turn 1. Verstappen was almost off the track. I don't see how he could be accused of crowding anybody. He gave the maximum amoubt of space the rules allow for.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:47 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
Brazil 16 is a funny one. Sure, Verstappen made some nice overtakes but the guy at the front absolutely tiddled it in without any challenge whatsoever.

Plus he didn't have a spin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

Yeah this is the same point I've been making, how many front wings does he clip, then we get told the overtake is great driving and any damage race ending contact is just bad luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:20 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

Unless I'm misremembering it was Vettel crowding Verstappen on the outsude of turn 1. Verstappen was almost off the track. I don't see how he could be accused of crowding anybody. He gave the maximum amoubt of space the rules allow for.

The contact happened at turn 2 where Verstappen had won the right to the inside line, and as a result chopped across the front of Vettel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:00 pm 

Yes Pokerman, we get it. Hamilton is the greatest, the best, the master and the everything.

You dislike Max, that's fine, but it's so obvious you just can't look at it without showing your personal frustration about Max in every conversation. Nice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:19 pm 

Verstappen33 wrote:
Yes Pokerman, we get it. Hamilton is the greatest, the best, the master and the everything.

You dislike Max, that's fine, but it's so obvious you just can't look at it without showing your personal frustration about Max in every conversation. Nice

In every conversation?

Lest you forget this is the Max Verstappen thread, I've actually been posting in another thread regarding the Singapore accident were I'm not blaming Verstappen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:43 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Verstappen33 wrote:

In every conversation?

Lest you forget this is the Max Verstappen thread, I've actually been posting in another thread regarding the Singapore accident were I'm not blaming Verstappen.

And as such we generally try not to be negative to the drivers in their official threads so that they won't go down the needless bashing way. Unless I'm mistaken now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:13 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Verstappen33 wrote:

In every conversation?

And as such we generally try not to be negative to the drivers in their official threads so that they won't go down the needless bashing way. Unless I'm mistaken now

So the statement that he is the best driver on the grid is protected within the confines of this thread?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:20 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Verstappen33 wrote:

In every conversation?

So the statement that he is the best driver on the grid is protected within the confines of this thread?

No, but your need to have Hamilton proclaimed the best everywhere shouldn't spill over into official driver threads

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:27 pm 

pokerman wrote:

Where has this been said ?

It is kinda obvious Max is the fastest on the grid and that he has to improve in several key areas. But it will not change the fact that saying "X or Y is the best driver on the grid" will be subjective, no matter who you're talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:50 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Verstappen33 wrote:

In every conversation?

No, but your need to have Hamilton proclaimed the best everywhere shouldn't spill over into official driver threads

I questioned the post of Verstappen being the master in the wet in respect to Hamilton, but best driver on the grid were did I pertain to Hamilton, there are other drivers like Alonso and perhaps even Vettel that might come into consideration as well?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 pm 

I've forgot that the Mods have already stepped in on this so I'll leave alone now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:17 pm 

The facts are that Dan had the wrong set up at Brasil - and for a third of the race struggled with a poorly handling car and lost positions and time - including not being able to properly defend against Max - then after the pit stop - he not only got all the way back but without vigorous defence - would have overtaken Max - so in reality, Dan put performed Max in the wet given he almost beat him with a competitive car for two-thirds of the race

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:20 pm 

And other races also need to be considered in their full context - I’m not saying Dan did better in all - but he certainly did better in some than the results suggest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:26 pm 

And other races also need to be considered in their full context - I’m not saying Dan did better in all - but he certainly did better in some than the results suggest