planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:01 pm 

Ever since he came to F1 with that magnificent drift at FP1 in Brazil, I was left wondering what will be of him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqUkt83gpnI

Now, his race engineer says that he is the best he has seen.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3219 ... i-ve-seen/

I can hardly wait to see him going in race. I am already thoroughly warmed up for him.

Since there is no official thread for him, can this be the one?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:24 pm 

Have to say I believe he'll be one of the disappointments. It's too much too soon for a 17 year old.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:27 pm 

Could be Laura. Or he could come in to it with the ignorance of youth. At that age its all just another day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:29 pm 

pubpokerplayer wrote:
Could be Laura. Or he could come in to it with the ignorance of youth. At that age its all just another day.

Judging by some of his comments this far he's coming into F1 with all the arrogance of youth. Could bite him in the butt big time early in the season.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:31 pm 

I know little of him (we all do he is 17 fcol) but I would love to see him come in and set the paddock alive with his ability. Kimi Jenson and Alonso are old enough to be his dad!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:33 pm 

It could almost be bad for him to have a really good season. If he does a job that would be good for an experienced midfield driver, in his second year he might feel compelled to push harder allowing the rookie mistakes to come up in his sophomore year.

Best for him to have a year that's "good for a rookie" and build from there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:38 pm 

Well he had certainly had a lot of praise & hype from the Red Bull guys.

On the one hand it's natural for F1 teams to big up their driver, especially when his signing was a controversial one.

However on the other hand, presuming that they are being genuine with their praise, it bodes well for the kid. After all the people who brought the talents of Vettel & Ricciardo into the sport are the ones to know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:15 pm 

I remember a young German coming into F1 with unbelievable levels of youthful arrogance. Turned into one of the all-time greats...

(Not Sebby by the way ;) )

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:31 pm 

TheOtherGuy wrote:
I remember a young German coming into F1 with unbelievable levels of youthful arrogance. Turned into one of the all-time greats...

:lol: :thumbup:

When I first heard about him going to F1 I thought he was overhyped and will disappoint. Now after some time, I don't really care. After all F1 was always about rich people. Drivers were just a bit older in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:35 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
pubpokerplayer wrote:

Judging by some of his comments this far he's coming into F1 with all the arrogance of youth. Could bite him in the butt big time early in the season.

Which comments exactly?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:01 pm 

With the young guys, I always worry that they might struggle and get booted out and never get another chance, whereas if he was even just a few years older with the extra experience that would entail they might have been something a bit more productive. I'm not saying it will be the case with Max. If the team thinks he has what it takes, then I have no problem with him being young.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:21 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
TheOtherGuy wrote:

When I first heard about him going to F1 I thought he was overhyped and will disappoint. Now after some time, I don't really care. After all F1 was always about rich people. Drivers were just a bit older in the past.

Where did rich people come into play here? Max's signing has nothing to do with money. STR/RBR's signings never do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:33 pm 

mds wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
TheOtherGuy wrote:

Where did rich people come into play here? Max's signing has nothing to do with money. STR/RBR's signings never do.

:thumbup:

It's one of the (few) things I like about RBR/Torro Rosso; if you are talented enough, you will progress through the ranks and potentially get a shot at the big time. I trust their judgement with Verstappen, if they think he's ready, he's probably ready.

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:39 pm 

mds wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
TheOtherGuy wrote:

Whatever. My mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:07 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Have to say I believe he'll be one of the disappointments. It's too much too soon for a 17 year old.

That's certainly possible. In fact, I'm inclined to believe that moving him up to F1 at this stage is a bit foolish. I know that some people are absolutely convinced that he'll be great based on very little track record but I personally think it's too soon to know. To say he'll succeed or fail is nothing more than a gut feeling at this point.

No matter how good you are in F3, it doesn't necessarily tell you much about how good you will be at the higher levels. I remember Esteban Gutierrez winning titles in the junior categories in Formula BMW and GP3 but then hitting the wall in GP2 where he was unable to really distinguish himself from that more talented field. Felipe Nasr also comes to mind as a guy who looked to be the next great Brazilian driver in British F3 but got to GP2 and was exposed to a certain extent. Jules Bianchi is perhaps the most famous example of a kid who was severely hyped as a teenager while winning titles in the junior categories (Formula Renault 2.0 and F3 Euro Series) only to hit that wall when he moved up to the GP2/FR 3.5 level and fail to win championships.

Max hasn't even won a title at the F3 level and he hasn't competed at a level that I would consider to be comprised mostly of true F1 hopefuls. I wish him the best but I think people who want to hype him through the roof are not doing him any favors. It won't be easy for him. Perhaps he will be successful. He is backed by a very potent organization so the path to success is right there in front of him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:10 pm 

I agree with your post sandman1347. I think he's had one of the most impressive debut seasons in car racing I've ever seen (and certainly in recent years), but you're entirely correct in saying that that doesn't guarantee anything towards F1.

It might be foolish. I agree it doesn't seem the best idea. But he and his management pushed for it themselves, so if he fails they'll have themselves to blame.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:22 pm 

mds wrote:
I agree with your post sandman1347. I think he's had one of the most impressive debut seasons in car racing I've ever seen (and certainly in recent years), but you're entirely correct in saying that that doesn't guarantee anything towards F1.

It might be foolish. I agree it doesn't seem the best idea. But he and his management pushed for it themselves, so if he fails they'll have themselves to blame.

The thing he has going for himself is that he understands the job better than most kids his age ever could. His father was a hell of a racer and he has basically been raised as a pro driver. It's likely that he is a year or two beyond most other elite talents in terms of his mental preparation for the F1 level.

That being said, I think that it would be better to gradually move up through the ranks to more powerful cars and more talented competition. It's hard to imagine that there won't be a punishing learning curve for Max initially. Hopefully he is resilient and can persevere and hopefully Red Bull will be patient. For people expecting Max to light up the grid this season, I have a hard time seeing that happen. It would be nice to see a spark or two though.

I am somewhat critical of the Red Bull young driver development program as I think it destroys more careers than it launches. Guys like Buemi and Alguersuari were both brought into F1 too soon and both fizzled out. Others have been grinded to dust before ever making it onto the grid. A lot of people praise the program because of Vettel's success but a lot of that was down to timing. Vettel came up as the team developed a world-beating car and I think that skews people's perception of the program. Even Vettel's time at STR was marked by the best car that the junior team ever developed.

Ironically, their best ever driver is probably Ricciardo; who really cut his teeth in the lower formula and even drove half of a season for HRT before getting to STR.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm 

They're hyping him up too much already. Let the kid gain experience and develop first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:38 am 

There are rumours on a certain site that Max is already quicker than Kvyat on the simulator and some concerns about the speed of Kvyat and his work ethic.

They are even saying there is talk of Kvyat being replaced by Verstappen mid season if their fears become true.

I however have to say the reputation of the site has come into some criticism in the past, however it did sort of make me sit up and take notice.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: Currently 15th

Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:05 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
I am somewhat critical of the Red Bull young driver development program as I think it destroys more careers than it launches. Guys like Buemi and Alguersuari were both brought into F1 too soon and both fizzled out. Others have been grinded to dust before ever making it onto the grid. A lot of people praise the program because of Vettel's success but a lot of that was down to timing. Vettel came up as the team developed a world-beating car and I think that skews people's perception of the program. Even Vettel's time at STR was marked by the best car that the junior team ever developed.

Do you think drivers like Buemi and Alguersuari would have done any better had they been given more time? They were not untalented by any means and it probably was worth giving them a shot at STR but I couldn't ever have seen them being on a similar level as Ricciardo or Vettel, even with a few more years of development behind them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:16 am 

Does anyone else think it's a BAD thing for F1 if Verstappen does well? I mean, 17 year olds performing well at the 'pinnacle of motorsport' just proves to people who are not that clued-up on the sport that these cars are now too easy to drive. Plus, what's to say he's even deserved his place in F1 at all? He had one good season in F3. Hardly superlicence material if you ask me.

I don't like where this is going. Before long, we'll have someone who'll be entering F1 at 23 and already being told he's past it. Make it 21 and over, and MAKE them do every single feeder series to prove that they're worthy of their place in F1.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:25 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Does anyone else think it's a BAD thing for F1 if Verstappen does well? I mean, 17 year olds performing well at the 'pinnacle of motorsport' just proves to people who are not that clued-up on the sport that these cars are now too easy to drive. Plus, what's to say he's even deserved his place in F1 at all? He had one good season in F3. Hardly superlicence material if you ask me.

I don't like where this is going. Before long, we'll have someone who'll be entering F1 at 23 and already being told he's past it. Make it 21 and over, and MAKE them do every single feeder series to prove that they're worthy of their place in F1.

Did Wayne Rooney scoring in the Premier League at age 16 prove football was getting too soft and easy?

(I understand this isn't a great comparison but it just shows youth isn't a be all and end all factor)

Kids start racing earlier and earlier in their lives nowadays, them reaching F1 at a younger age is just a by-product of this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:16 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Does anyone else think it's a BAD thing for F1 if Verstappen does well? I mean, 17 year olds performing well at the 'pinnacle of motorsport' just proves to people who are not that clued-up on the sport that these cars are now too easy to drive.

If that's the case, then that will highlight it and maybe incite the rule makers to take proper measurements in order to correct this perceived weakness of current F1. That can be taken as a positive.
Either the situation exists and it is proven to be as such, or it doesn't exist and Max will have a woeful time. But either way Max driving in F1 doesn't change the situation, nor would hiding it by not allowing youngsters to drive in F1.

Quote:
Make it 21 and over, and MAKE them do every single feeder series to prove that they're worthy of their place in F1.

Why make it 21 when we had teenagers driving F1 in the sixties already? Were the cars too easy to drive back then? We've had teenagers in the eighties, was it too easy back then?
Why make them do every single feeder series when it wasn't asked of drivers in the past? Talent opens doors, that's how it has always gone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:24 am 

mds wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
Does anyone else think it's a BAD thing for F1 if Verstappen does well? I mean, 17 year olds performing well at the 'pinnacle of motorsport' just proves to people who are not that clued-up on the sport that these cars are now too easy to drive.

If that's the case, then that will highlight it and maybe incite the rule makers to take proper measurements in order to correct this perceived weakness of current F1. That can be taken as a positive.
Either the situation exists and it is proven to be as such, or it doesn't exist and Max will have a woeful time. But either way Max driving in F1 doesn't change the situation, nor would hiding it by not allowing youngsters to drive in F1.

Quote:
Make it 21 and over, and MAKE them do every single feeder series to prove that they're worthy of their place in F1.

Why make it 21 when we had teenagers driving F1 in the sixties already? Were the cars too easy to drive back then? We've had teenagers in the eighties, was it too easy back then?
Why make them do every single feeder series when it wasn't asked of drivers in the past? Talent opens doors, that's how it has always gone.

I think there has to be a balance, the new F1 super license points system means that a junior driver has to spend at least 2/3 years in single seaters before qualifying for F1 and i think that's about right.

As for Verstappen i think he will do alright but i wouldn't advise it for every 17 year old.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:27 am 

There is one contributory factor for the success of the children these days: they grow up with video games that train their nerves and reactions from early on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:33 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
There is one contributory factor for the success of the children these days: they grow up with video games that train their nerves and reactions from early on.

But its not like video games exist since Max Verstappen was a kid. All the grid, including the older drivers (Kimi, Button, Alonso, Massa) have played them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:35 am 

pokerman wrote:
I think there has to be a balance, the new F1 super license points system means that a junior driver has to spend at least 2/3 years in single seaters before qualifying for F1 and i think that's about right.

As for Verstappen i think he will do alright but i wouldn't advise it for every 17 year old.

Overall I agree with this view. I think he's rushing it a bit and it's a definite risk for his career. I think the idea of attributing points for feeder series performances is a good idea, and spending at least two seasons in feeder series is a good one as well.

I just wouldn't want to use age as a criterium. It's too arbitrary in my view. If a driver wins GP2 aged 17, I don't see why he wouldn't be ready for F1. If that makes F1 look too easy, then the problem lies with F1. The fast promotion of drivers is merely a consequence, not a cause.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:37 am 

pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

Quote:

But why, though?

edit: to clarify, Kimi showed that he was talented enough to get into F1 even though he'd done only 23 single seater races. I'm just wondering what problems people are anticipating that necessitates forcing drivers to spend 2-3 years doing it, or what restricting age (as per mds' post above) will achieve?

People like Max are clearly a special case and the team has seen something in him that merits special attention. But teams aren't going to invest time and money on doing that unless they think it will give a return. After all, it's not as though RBR / TR need the publicity to prop up their young driver program - it's been a pretty good success so far without extra regulation. Why do you think this needs to be controlled by the FIA?

Last edited by Zoue on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:41 am 

nixxxon wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

But its not like video games exist since Max Verstappen was a kid. All the grid, including the older drivers (Kimi, Button, Alonso, Massa) have played them.

Well... I'm younger than the drivers you mentioned (I'm from 1982) and personal entertainment/gaming wasn't as prevalent in my youth as it is now. The Playstation only debuted in 1994, PC's were limited in power so no fast-paced racing games until mid-90's as well. Let alone simulator-level games, then we're looking at some years later when those guys were already in cars and looking at being in F1 (if they weren't already there).

Now the question is if the availability of these forms of entertainment really aid in the development of a racing driver... But the older drivers didn't really grew up with it from the start.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:00 pm 

Firstly I think without a doubt computer games improve reactions and thought processes in hectic situations.

Secondly anyone younger than say 30 wouldn't have had anywhere near the gaming experience Max could have.

Lastly I would say its more to do with the fact he has probably been in karts for about 12 yrs already. Has a father who is dedicated to the sport and the cars are safer to drive now so there isn't such a worry about throwing a kid in the mix.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:10 pm 

Slightly off topic, but how does he manage with education?

Dont know what the "school leaving age" is in his country, but in many he is still not old enough to leave and have a full time job.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:20 pm 

mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Overall I agree with this view. I think he's rushing it a bit and it's a definite risk for his career. I think the idea of attributing points for feeder series performances is a good idea, and spending at least two seasons in feeder series is a good one as well.

I just wouldn't want to use age as a criterium. It's too arbitrary in my view. If a driver wins GP2 aged 17, I don't see why he wouldn't be ready for F1. If that makes F1 look too easy, then the problem lies with F1. The fast promotion of drivers is merely a consequence, not a cause.

Yes i agree but it wouldn't be normal in itself for a driver to be in GP2 at 17 and certainly not 16 (Verstappen)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:26 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

Quote:

But why, though?

edit: to clarify, Kimi showed that he was talented enough to get into F1 even though he'd done only 23 single seater races. I'm just wondering what problems people are anticipating that necessitates forcing drivers to spend 2-3 years doing it, or what restricting age (as per mds' post above) will achieve?

People like Max are clearly a special case and the team has seen something in him that merits special attention. But teams aren't going to invest time and money on doing that unless they think it will give a return. After all, it's not as though RBR / TR need the publicity to prop up their young driver program - it's been a pretty good success so far without extra regulation. Why do you think this needs to be controlled by the FIA?

For one thing it stops drivers from merely paying there way into F1, as for Kimi he bypassed all the talented drivers in F3 and F3000, it makes a mockery of such series if you don't even have to compete in them to get into F1, Kimi after all won a series against relatively inexperienced drivers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:50 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

Quote:

But why, though?

For one thing it stops drivers from merely paying there way into F1, as for Kimi he bypassed all the talented drivers in F3 and F3000, it makes a mockery of such series if you don't even have to compete in them to get into F1, Kimi after all won a series against relatively inexperienced drivers.

I think drivers can still pay their way in, even if they have to wait a year or two first. Most people would agree that Max Chilton is a pay driver, but he'd done three seasons in GP2 as well as three in F3 before entering F1.

Like I said, we haven't had a regular issue with drivers coming in with less than two years' single seater experience. The only ones that spring to mind are Kimi and Max, and in the case of the former it was a success, while we don't know yet how the latter will turn out. But 100% success so far is not bad.

I should say I'm against what I see as excessive over-regulation on principle, not just with this issue. I'm just trying to work out what is being gained by this, since I can't really see there was ever an issue in this area to begin with.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:51 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
But why, though?

I think drivers can still pay their way in, even if they have to wait a year or two first. Most people would agree that Max Chilton is a pay driver, but he'd done three seasons in GP2 as well as three in F3 before entering F1.

Like I said, we haven't had a regular issue with drivers coming in with less than two years' single seater experience. The only ones that spring to mind are Kimi and Max, and in the case of the former it was a success, while we don't know yet how the latter will turn out. But 100% success so far is not bad.

I should say I'm against what I see as excessive over-regulation on principle, not just with this issue. I'm just trying to work out what is being gained by this, since I can't really see there was ever an issue in this area to begin with.

Serving time in a Formula shouldn't give you the right to a F1 super license it should be performance related, under the new system you need 40 points over the last 3 years to qualify for a F1 super license.

Checking on Max Chilton he would have scored 20 points, looking at Marcus Ericsson he would have scored 14 points, i think most people look at these two drivers as having paid their way to get into F1, the new system would have prevented that, F1 should be about taking on the best talent not the drivers with the most money.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:56 pm 

Just been looking at the points system you need 40 points so why score 60 points for winning F2 and 50 points for winning GP2?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:10 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Just been looking at the points system you need 40 points so why score 60 points for winning F2 and 50 points for winning GP2?

The system is poorly thought out and politically motivated. It's embarrassing really. Right up there with the double points rule as something that is hard to imagine could get through a panel of adults.

A better system would be to say that you need 10 points to enter F1. Any car racing series should get you at least 1 point. Slicks and wings series like Formula BMW and Formula Renault 2.0 are worth 2 points. Mid-tier series like Formula 3 are worth 4 points and final stage series like GP2 and FR 3.5 are worth 6. There should also be a 4 point requirement to race GP2. That way anyone with GP2 experience will be eligible for a super license.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:04 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

The system is poorly thought out and politically motivated. It's embarrassing really. Right up there with the double points rule as something that is hard to imagine could get through a panel of adults.

A better system would be to say that you need 10 points to enter F1. Any car racing series should get you at least 1 point. Slicks and wings series like Formula BMW and Formula Renault 2.0 are worth 2 points. Mid-tier series like Formula 3 are worth 4 points and final stage series like GP2 and FR 3.5 are worth 6. There should also be a 4 point requirement to race GP2. That way anyone with GP2 experience will be eligible for a super license.

I totally disagree that points should be given for merely competing in junior Formulas, you want the Champion drivers in F1 not also rans with massive budgets.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:41 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I totally disagree that points should be given for merely competing in junior Formulas, you want the Champion drivers in F1 not also rans with massive budgets.

The only way to prevent pay drivers from getting into F1 would be to have a grid filled with large manufacturer teams that don't need the money. It would be impossible to implement a license system based around subjectively evaluating talent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:47 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

The only way to prevent pay drivers from getting into F1 would be to have a grid filled with large manufacturer teams that don't need the money. It would be impossible to implement a license system based around subjectively evaluating talent.

Well that's apparently what they have done with the new system