All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:16 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Williams 2 seconds adrift. :(

The only pure backmarker in the field

Really sad to see Williams as the new Minardi :( .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:23 am 

Commentators saying that Bottas long runs in the low 28s, Leclerc mid to high 28s, Vettel low 29s. I don't think anybody is sandbagging in long runs, so I think Merc is going to ace this weekend. Ferrari maybe not that comfortable in Melbourne, they struggled there too last year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:26 am 

kleefton wrote:
Commentators saying that Bottas long runs in the low 28s, Leclerc mid to high 28s, Vettel low 29s. I don't think anybody is sandbagging in long runs, so I think Merc is going to ace this weekend. Ferrari maybe not that comfortable in Melbourne, they struggled there too last year.

I believe last year was mostly down to the issue they had with the floor. If the form book remains like this throughout the weekend, I think it means that Mercedes have a better package.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:35 am 

Very impressed with Stroll so far. Looking good in that Racing Point.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:38 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

I believe last year was mostly down to the issue they had with the floor. If the form book remains like this throughout the weekend, I think it means that Mercedes have a better package.

Traditionally it's been a good track for Mercedes and the track itself can be a bit of an outlier, nevertheless it's a good sign for Mercedes if Ferrari looked quicker here then that would mean that Mercedes are in trouble.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:38 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Yeah true, but the balance of power will probably shift from track to track, everybody still maintains that the Merc looks twitchy on track, but yet we can see that it is still really fast. There are some tracks where they will be behind Ferrari for sure, and it might be more often than not. Who knows? Exciting season ahead I think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:39 am 

Tassadar wrote:

If Stroll was to beat Perez then Perez is on a road to nowhere.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:40 am 

I feel like I've been duped. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:40 am 

Tassadar wrote:

Yeah, finished in front of Perez in both sessions 8O

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 am 

kleefton wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Yeah true, but the balance of power will probably shift from track to track, everybody still maintains that the Merc looks twitchy on track, but yet we can see that it is still really fast. There are some tracks where they will be behind Ferrari for sure, and it might be more often than not. Who knows? Exciting season ahead I think.

True. Last year after Australia I was convinced that Mercedes had the best car only to see Ferrari have the edge for the next three rounds. Anything can happen when it's this early. Honestly I don't think Ferrari have come close to showing their hand yet. We'll find out in qualifying.

Yeah Merc have stepped up and it'll be interesting to see how Ferrari react tomorrow. Still very hard to sort the pecking order out after 2 sessions.

Late session power issue for Gasly.

Has anyone spotted Teddy K on the TV yet?

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 303 spots available, 23 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

pokerman wrote:
Tassadar wrote:

Maybe Stroll did improve a lot after he was thrashed by Massa 2 years ago. I always felt he was a good racer, but was not sure about his outright pace.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:44 am 

kleefton wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Tassadar wrote:

Maybe Stroll did improve a lot after he was thrashed by Massa 2 years ago. I always felt he was a good racer, but was not sure about his outright pace.

I felt the opposite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:55 am 

pokerman wrote:
Tassadar wrote:

Perez did well against a very talented Hulkenberg when they were together (although he didn't quite outperform him). So if Stroll can match Perez, especially as the new driver, I think that's great for him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:56 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Tassadar wrote:

I felt the opposite

Stroll's biggest problem, I felt, was qualifying, race-craft and consistency. He certainly has some solid pace, especially in the rain. Be interesting to see if he has grown and matured as a driver. The kid definitely has talent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Tassadar wrote:

I felt the opposite

Interesting. I felt he gained a lot of positions at the start of races last year, even with that awful Williams car he has had at his disposal. He never crashes out of races. The way Massa destroyed him in qualifying is what made me question his outright pace, or qualifying pace but in the race he is usually pretty safe. It is hard to stand out when you are driving the slowest car but he brought it home almost all the time. Maybe he will enlighten us more this year with what should be a much better car.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:22 am 

pokerman wrote:
Tassadar wrote:

Towing Ocon out for good with him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:39 am 

Damn those upside down people and their funny time zones, I wake up and I've missed not one but two sessions!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:53 am 

FP2 done:

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D115F96

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:00 am 

Is it too early to have my hopes up for Alfa Romeo being somewhat competitive or even the "best of the rest"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:39 am 

Tassadar wrote:

It's not fair to Minardi... They look more like Pacific Racing (even their livery is a reminder) which is sadder.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 am 

pokerman wrote:
Tassadar wrote:

If Stroll beats Perez it's dire news for a lot of drivers - Hulk and Ocon to start.

Either that or Massa and Sirotkin need to be brought straight back into F1 and into top drives.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:06 am 

Covalent wrote:
Is it too early to have my hopes up for Alfa Romeo being somewhat competitive or even the "best of the rest"?

I think Alfa have the 4th best car. They may get pipped by Renault though as I think they have the better drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:13 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:

I think Alfa have the 4th best car. They may get pipped by Renault though as I think they have the better drivers.

You may be right, the performance of Giovinazzi is still a question mark though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:45 am 

Autosport looking real frickin dumb right now after all the videos they posted trashing Merc for having a disasterous preseason

0 credibility

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:51 am 

Harpo wrote:
Tassadar wrote:

It's not fair to Minardi... They look more like Pacific Racing (even their livery is a reminder) which is sadder.

According to both drivers car is close to undriveable at least on this track, and they can't even touch the kerbs coz it's gonna destroy the suspension xD

Merc and Ferrari both didn't show a true pace yet, and doubt they will do before Q3. The middle pack seems to be pretty close and that's positive thing about the season, I see a lot of space for a drivers to shine there. Williams is not even on F1 level right now which is a bit pathetic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:55 am 

Vettel is claiming their pace today wasn't sandbagging, and that they are struggling to set up the car correctly:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... e/4353088/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:55 am 

FormulaFun wrote:
Autosport looking real frickin dumb right now after all the videos they posted trashing Merc for having a disasterous preseason

0 credibility

As with most years in melbourne, dont take too much notice of this weekend. Its not a barometer for the season. hamilton was 7 tenths quicker then the ferraris in quali last year. its a funny track. when you look at the ease in which vettel and leclerc were able to do their fastest testing laps i would be very very suprised if ferrari dont fundamentally have the quickest car this year. of course merc wont be far off and it will probably swing around like last year though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:57 am 

FormulaFun wrote:

0 credibility

Melbourne is an odd track. Rarely indicative of car performance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:28 am 

Seeing Williams looking like being a pair of mobile chicanes this season makes me very sad. It's looking like a car that is going to be lapped by the entire field.

As for true pace.... this time tomorrow we will know a lot more. The long runs in FP3 and Qualifying will give us a good idea who is where.

Bold prediction - Red Bull to have the #2 car this season, behind Mercedes.

Blog: Car #36

Last edited by Badgeronimous on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 am 

So who was sandbagging more, Ferrari today or Mercedes in testing :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:44 am 

Looks to me Mercedes are clear favorites. They improved much more than Ferrari from FP1 to FP2 and the improvement Ferrari did is probably closer to track evolution times which means Mercedes were sandbagging in FP1.

Maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 am 

Personally believe that Mercedes learned a lot more regarding their package in testing than Ferrari did.. Bottas interview on Sky F1 indicated they had developed a lot with the knowledge they gained over the previous two weeks.

Vettel in an interview does believe Mercedes are in a league of their own here though..

Quote:
Vettel jokingly referred to pre-season claims of Mercedes struggling as "bullshit", before adding that he was genuinely surprised by its performance.

"It was a bit of a surprise," he said. "I thought they looked really quick.

"And I don't know if it was just us struggling a bit today, or also others, but as a matter of fact I think they were in a league of their own.

"Maybe everyone else was struggling and then we can turn it around, but they certainly look very strong and much stronger than they claimed before the weekend."

~Autosport: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14213 ... in-its-own

Will see tomorrow and Sunday who has been carrying the heaviest sandbags.. Although Albert Park is a bit of an odd circuit to use for a gauge, its a good sign for Mercedes to be quick here if they were in deed in trouble post-testing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:55 am 

Wait what have I missed? Wasn't Ferrari in a clear lead a month ago and then Mercedes owns both practice sessions here in Australia? How can that change so quickly?

Just when I thought Ferrari was finally having a good run.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:24 pm 

So from "we are 0.5 sec behind" to almost 1 sec ahead. Apart from the obvious (that it's FP2, it's Melbourne, usually an outlier, etc.) that's a pretty hefty swing of almost 1.5 sec to Mercedes. Not only that, but Ferrari seem to be behind the RB duo as well.

On the flip side, both Ferrari drivers seem to be confident that there are places to improve, so this deficit is not the end for the Ferrari duo. It is almost certain that Ferrari did indeed sandbag (or didn't get the settings right), as Vettel's pace on the soft was very close to Leclerc's on the medium. So there's that to consider too.

But Vettel calling Mercedes's claims bullshit while Ferrari are potentially sandbagging themselves is precious!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 pm 

Some handy info regarding the lap times in FP2:

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:41 pm 

Info from F1's official website.

Source - http://www.imgur.com

Source - http://www.imgur.com

Ferrari either are in 1st position (sandbagging) or 2nd position at the worst. Hence, Ferrari can be slotted in 2nd place. Alfa Romeo being so high seems deceiving.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

True. Last year after Australia I was convinced that Mercedes had the best car only to see Ferrari have the edge for the next three rounds. Anything can happen when it's this early. Honestly I don't think Ferrari have come close to showing their hand yet. We'll find out in qualifying.

That in part was because Ferrari had a problem with the car which required a new floor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

0 credibility

Melbourne is an odd track. Rarely indicative of car performance.

Agreed, but even so the narrative that autosport were pushing that Merc were having some sort of crisis and Ferrari were a mile ahead during testing is pretty much completely debunked

Also I feel this year Aus could be more of an indicator than has historically been the case. Most reg changes for 2019 were with respect to the front wing and front downforce, Aus needs a reactive front end so showing they've adapted to the regs is good sign for merc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:55 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Yeah Merc have stepped up and it'll be interesting to see how Ferrari react tomorrow. Still very hard to sort the pecking order out after 2 sessions.

Late session power issue for Gasly.

Has anyone spotted Teddy K on the TV yet?

No but I see he is active on the Sky F1 twitter page.