planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:25 pm 

Williams having to use their alternative stripes in France? That's a bit of a surprise to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:34 pm 

Lojik wrote:
Are they using the thinner tread Pirellis this weekend? Not heard any mention of it so far.

yes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:57 pm 

That Hamilton onboard lap looked so slow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:00 pm 

Clarky wrote:
That Hamilton onboard lap looked so slow.

I was thinking exactly that. Thought he'd abandoned it for a moment

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:51 pm 

FP2 done:

Source - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgTlWdvWAAA-AKi.jpg:large

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:57 pm 

New spec engine for Merc according to this:

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/sta ... 37894?s=19

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:02 pm 

Silly games from Mercedes, but clearly the new spec engine has given them a big advantage over the field. Another dull race in prospect - Mercedes 1,2 Ferrari 3,4, and expect a retirement for one of the RB's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:08 pm 

Merc looking ominous here. Ferrari is always slow on Fridays, but the gap to Redbull is also big and it will be too much for anyone to overcome. Whether it's the track layout, thinner spec tires, new pu, looks like it's going to be a Merc weekend.

The races have been boring for the most part this year, and this track for sure will produce one of the most boring races, but the way the balance of power has shifted over the season has been great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:17 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Silly games from Mercedes.......

I know I shouldn't waste my time, but what games?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:30 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Silly games from Mercedes, but clearly the new spec engine has given them a big advantage over the field. Another dull race in prospect - Mercedes 1,2 Ferrari 3,4, and expect a retirement for one of the RB's.

It's only a dull race if you think that Mercedes are going to win, also the new engine is only worth about 1 tenth, Mercedes was always fancied on this track, it suits their car.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:32 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
The Press Conference:

That would be were Alonso says that his Le Mans win was the greatest for a long time were he had to beat 9 other LMP1 cars. 8O

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:33 pm 

pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

It's only a dull race if you think that Mercedes are going to win, also the new engine is only worth about 1 tenth, Mercedes was always fancied on this track, it suits their car.

After Bottas and Toto said they were going to suffer this weekend, and people rightly called their bluff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:16 pm 

Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

After Bottas and Toto said they were going to suffer this weekend, and people rightly called their bluff.

Would you really expect them to come out and say their favourites :?

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:21 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

But this is outright lying, knowing they are bringing their engine upgrade to this race.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:37 pm 

Vettel and Ferrari are clearly doing their usual Friday sandbagging. Does anyone really think he is going to be only 0.01s faster than Grosjean in Q3?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:39 pm 

Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

But this is outright lying, knowing they are bringing their engine upgrade to this race.

Why would anyone care? Did they actually say Mercedes would struggle? Did they say Mercedes was not bringing the new engine?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:40 pm 

Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

a bit like this outright lying from your hero:

https://wtf1.com/post/vettel-tried-to-t ... n-bahrain/

;)

It's all part of the game in F1.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:49 pm 

Mercedes have brought their new PU, while Ferrari - in Vettel's hands at least, not sure about Kimi - are using their old PU for Friday practice, so as not to increase wear on the new one. I'm sure that would account for a fairly noticeable difference.

Mercedes look strong, but I think it's impossible to say how good Ferrari are until Saturday morning at least. I expect them to pass Red Bull, in particular when they turn things up in qualifying

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:51 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Why would anyone care? Did they actually say Mercedes would struggle? Did they say Mercedes was not bringing the new engine?

I agree it's difficult to see why anyone would care, but by the same token it's difficult to see why Mercedes would be so coy about whether they were using the new PU or not. All seems a bit unnecessary to me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:55 pm 

Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

I believe that they just feared Ferrari who tend not to show their hand on a Friday but still what has that got to do with the new spec engine?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm 

Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

An engine that's worth about 1 tenth?

Mercedes should apologise to you for ruining your weekend?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:07 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:

1 tenth is pretty good considering where they are. Wasn't the Ferrari upgrade only half a tenth?

(Just talking about the upgrades, not the rest of the post)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:10 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Rockie wrote:

1 tenth is pretty good considering where they are. Wasn't the Ferrari upgrade only half a tenth?

Did you read the original post I replied to which put Hamilton's gap to the rest being down to the new engine as much as anything?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:14 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Did you read the original post I replied to which put Hamilton's gap to the rest being down to the new engine as much as anything?

This is just complete guesswork but the tyres may have something to do with it, too. Didn't we see Mercedes on top and Ferrari struggling last time they were used, in Spain?

Although personally I don't think we've seen the true state of affairs yet and I expect Ferrari to improve tomorrow. Just no idea how much

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:19 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Did you read the bit in brackets? I learned to ignore that poster long ago, I'm just talking about the strength of the upgrade, 1 tenth is pretty good at this stage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:21 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:

This is just complete guesswork but the tyres may have something to do with it, too. Didn't we see Mercedes on top and Ferrari struggling last time they were used, in Spain?

Although personally I don't think we've seen the true state of affairs yet and I expect Ferrari to improve tomorrow. Just no idea how much

Yeah they are using the same tyres because the track has been resurfaced and has a similar layout to Barcelona were Mercedes were dominant, the kneejerk reaction to Mercedes being the quickest on a Friday when Ferrari normally sandbag plus putting this all on the new engine shows a certain lack of knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Did you read the bit in brackets? I learned to ignore that poster long ago, I'm just talking about the strength of the upgrade, 1 tenth is pretty good at this stage.

Yeah but you are taking away the context in which I said it in respect to the said poster.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Yeah but you are taking away the context in which I said it in respect to the said poster.

You could've just said in the first reply "It is, but..." or if you disagreed about the strength "It isn't, and..."

I wasn't trying to take away your context, I was trying to get your opinion on the upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:45 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

You could've just said in the first reply "It is, but..." or if you disagreed about the strength "It isn't, and..."

I wasn't trying to take away your context, I was trying to get your opinion on the upgrade.

1 tenth is not a game changer it's nothing special would be my opinion, now Renault and Honda found 3 tenths with their latest engine, that moves goalposts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:46 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

1 tenth is not a game changer it's nothing special would be my opinion, now Renault and Honda found 3 tenths with their latest engine, that moves goalposts.

Low hanging fruit for those two though right? Mercedes and Ferrari are on another level and if those gains are true (1ths Mercedes and 0.5ths Ferrari) then they've done well imo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:19 pm 

pokerman wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

It's a dull race when you can predict the outcome before it happens whoever comes out on top. While I was happy Seb won the last race, it was another very boring grand prix and not good for the sport. Of course I have jumped to conclusions before and Ferrari have surprised in qualifying and the race.... so we'll see... but I think this is definitely going to be a Mercedes weekend and yet another boring donkey race where not much happens at the front.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:19 pm 

https://www.formula1.com/en/video.html

Anyone else find this video a bit lacking in one area? I haven't been able to watch practice today. I read about the incidents and issues with several drivers. Including Bottas. But this video mentions all top 6 drivers. I got the idea that Bottas's had some sort of issue. But as he wasn't in the top 6 in this, I would have thought they may mention why. They mention hartly's issue, Alonso's run off and other things too. But don't show the full listing and don't mention Bottas.

Yes, I'm a fan of Bottas. But from what I have read happened, they seemed to have mentioned all the stand out things other than one very obvious one. I thought he had to come back in and barely did any running due to a cooling issue.

This "official" f1 website seems so poor and lacking IMO. so much harder to find stuff than it used to be and other sites get up to date more quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 am 

If Mercedes are indeed running the new spec engine, does it necessarily mean they will run it in qualy/race?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:49 am 

Brendon Hartley will start at the back of the grid after all of the 6 components of his engine were changed:

https://www.pitpass.com/62107/Hartley-to-start-from-back-of-grid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:55 am 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13693 ... 1528854155

Watched practice and thought exactly the same, just don't know why the people at the top can't see it. Seems pretty obvious the straight would be better without a chicane in the middle of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:02 am 

Threat of rain!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:18 am 

Lots and lots of it. Why do we never have this on sundays?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:37 am 

Llotyhy wrote:

Is it raining? It is strange how we seem to have far more wet Saturdays than Sundays!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:48 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Is it raining? It is strange how we seem to have far more wet Saturdays than Sundays!

Chucking it down. I think this will not be good for Ferrari, that's for sure. They haven't gotten into their groove yet and now they won't be able to before the race.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:48 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Reminds me of the F1 2017 game!